Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VDC Subaru Outback 3L H6
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru recommends Fuel Injector Cleaner every 3K miles for optimum performance and fuel efficiency. The dealer sells the Subaru cleaner for $7.64.

Do you use Fuel Injector Cleaner regularly, and if so, how often and which kind?

If you fill up with Chevron Techron once in a while, is it still necessary?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Subaru recommends Fuel Injector Cleaner every 3K miles for optimum performance and fuel efficiency. The dealer sells the Subaru cleaner for $7.64.

Do you use Fuel Injector Cleaner regularly, and if so, how often and which kind?

If you fill up with Chevron Techron once in a while, is it still necessary?
If I lived in Africa and purchased fuel off a truck roaming around and used an old T-shirt to filter the fuel before it went in the car yes that might be a good idea if you could find fuel injector cleaner at all.

Keep in mind subaru has done a few things that are in essence throwing its dealers a bone for helping the bottom line when the dealer looses its shirt on warranty jobs that have fixed costs regardless of how much shop time is spent on the fix.

So NO maybe every 100,000 miles I might think about it but even then running standard American standard Gas probably not.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Where oh where in the manual does it say this?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point, what about CA gas?

Good point - I remember how hard a crappy local dealership fought not to do work covered under our Gold Warranty coverage. I had to get national Subaru on them. Soon as that policy coverage was over we switched to a much better, honest and far less expensive indie garage.

But what about for California gas? California has all sorts of restrictions on what kind of gas can be used, and that sometimes means gas that has gunk in it your car wouldn't like.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Good point - I remember how hard a crappy local dealership fought not to do work covered under our Gold Warranty coverage. I had to get national Subaru on them. Soon as that policy coverage was over we switched to a much better, honest and far less expensive indie garage.

But what about for California gas? California has all sorts of restrictions on what kind of gas can be used, and that sometimes means gas that has gunk in it your car wouldn't like.
MW - CA we use so much gas it hardly even sits at the station before its been used up. The strict emissions standards means the fuel needs to be as clean burning as possible - which means your car probably will not have any sort of fuel related things a bottle of magic can cure in one tank cycle.

If people want to spend $25 they can mail me a check once every 5 yrs and I will wave a magic wand over a picture of their car and chase the demons away.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I've never bought a bottle of FI cleaner in my life, but... I'm thinking about starting. Mostly because I never had a car where the fuel filter is so tough to change.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I've never bought a bottle of FI cleaner in my life, but... I'm thinking about starting. Mostly because I never had a car where the fuel filter is so tough to change.
If your fuel filter has crud in it where exactly would that crud go if the bottle of magic does something to it? Pretty sure these fuel potions if they do anything at all are ment to remove internal engine deposits during combustion - however as I said earlier I'll save you money all you need to do is send me $25 once every 5 yrs with a picture of your car and I will magically make all the bad things go away that these products claim to fix.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I've always operated with the idea that I wanted to trap crud upstream, in a good filter, changed out annually. Most cars don't even have one anymore, or at best just a screen over the fuel pump inlet to keep stray bolts out. Maybe USA gasoline really is that clean, but it doesn't feel right to me.

The aftermarket (outside of racing anyway) doesn't have a lot to offer...

If the bottle of magic did anything I asked, I'd hope that it kept the crud fluidized until it was through the injector and out the tailpipe. Not great but at least not wedging the injector partially open.

·
Registered
98 Posts
for what it's worth, 10 plus years ago we had a Ford Ranger and 2 succesive Ford Taurus' with the 3.0 liter that you could set your watch by, go more than 3 months without a bottle of FI cleaner and they would run like crap, pour a bottle in and they would run like a top, for 3 more months. Never had another engine that was that particular about it's gas...

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
No.

I use it sporadically. When I am in the Auto Parts Store and happen to think of it and remember that it has been nearly a year or so since I last did it, then I buy some real good stuff, like Valvoline Synpower.

Also, I typically buy the larger container that does up to 20 gallons of fuel and add it to the tank if the car has over half to 3/4 tank of fuel and instruct my wife to not fill it until it is really empty (almost when the fuel light comes on).

I do both my vehicles at the same time.

The mileage in-between would vary from, say 2,000 miles out to as many as 10,000 miles or so. Since the car gets more use than my other vehicle, the other vehicle just happens to have it done more frequently.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
I have used Techron, but I have typically only used a bottle every couple of years. I might use it more often if I were on the road a lot buying from odd places.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,061 Posts
SeaFoam in the gas tank periodically. Say every 30K or so miles.

I think the idea is to clean the pintles and ends of the injectors of build-up, not flush stuff from the tank and fuel lines into the filter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked with SOA

Just checked with someone there - SOA has no standing recommendation for fuel cleaner additives and leaves that to the dealerships.

So is the consensus that these help once in a while or that they don't help at all?

Did you see any improvement in fuel efficiency or power?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
I just use my imagination and hope it helps keep the injectors, fuel level sender and other parts clean and functioning at optimal levels.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
... SOA has no standing recommendation for fuel cleaner additives ...
Verbatim from 2011 Legacy/Outback Owner's Manual (page 7-5):

.........................Caution
Never add any cleaning agents to the fuel tank.
The addition of a cleaning agent may damage
the fuel system.

Who ya gonna believe, Mother Soobie or a dealer's service writer?

...OTOH, does snake oil count as a "cleaning agent?"

Looby

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
If your fuel filter has crud in it where exactly would that crud go if the bottle of magic does something to it? Pretty sure these fuel potions if they do anything at all are ment to remove internal engine deposits during combustion - however as I said earlier I'll save you money all you need to do is send me $25 once every 5 yrs with a picture of your car and I will magically make all the bad things go away that these products claim to fix.
We heard you the first time big guy

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Verbatim from 2011 Legacy/Outback Owner's Manual (page 7-5):

.........................Caution
Never add any cleaning agents to the fuel tank.
The addition of a cleaning agent may damage
the fuel system.

Who ya gonna believe, Mother Soobie or a dealer's service writer?

...OTOH, does snake oil count as a "cleaning agent?"

Looby
Thanks Looby!

I was going to post this, but I forgot...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts