Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm finally ironing out the last details before taking the plunge and buying an '05 XT ltd. What is the consensus on Documentation fees? The last 2 cars I bought (subaru and jeep) had btwn. $300-$500 in doc. fees each. I've heard this is negotiable, but I also plan on buying the subie at invoice, so don't know if they will really try and play hardball on this one. It doesn't seem like VanBortel subaru charges doc fees, or atleast doesn't include them in their "total cost". I still think it may be worth the 4-5 hr drive over there to avoid hassels. Any tips appreciated!

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
131 Posts
Documentation Fees = Dealer Profit.
It's that simple, and it's that negotiable.
(I know, I know, when you try to do it, the dealership shows you their sales contract and says something like."See? the amount is already pre-printed on the contract; it's company policy, honest" or "every dealership has these, you know..."
Well, that isn't always so. Take your pen and strike out that line.
(If you're doing the deal in the dealership, as opposed to over the net, make sure the pen and paper are on YOUR side of that big glossy desktop, too.)
The only non-negotiables are: taxes and state or federal levies (on tires, batteries, air conditioning--a special duty we have in Canada--and other stuff like that.) In the U.S., it seems that Freight/Transportation is a separate, non-negotiable charge by SOA (at $575.00), but not necessarily in Canada (contrary to what many Canadian buyers are led to believe.)

Keep in mind that you might want to go along with the dealer's wish to write-in documentation fees, so long as you're satisfied in your own mind that the equivalent amount--or more--was discounted in your purchase price negotiation. I mean, the whole point is the bottom line, right? Have that clear in your mind before you walk in the door, and most of the work is done. Then it's kind of fun, too

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
NasdTrader said:
It doesn't seem like VanBortel subaru charges doc fees, or atleast doesn't include them in their "total cost". I still think it may be worth the 4-5 hr drive over there to avoid hassels. Any tips appreciated! Thanks,Todd
Todd. It's worth it! Call Karl at Van Bortel and he'll take care of you. The only dicey part could be a trade in if you have one. As for the so-called "documentation," it's exacly as Whitlow says ("profit"). Don't pay it unless it all adds up right in your overall estimation of what the vehicle should cost you (Van Bortel's online is a good guide).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't Pay it !!! -- I just purchased a 05 O/B XT Limited on Long Island from Grand Prix in Hicksville for a base of 27,278 (Internet price) and no Document Fees/dealer fees just the NYS tire, NYS Insp, NYS transfer plate .... all totaled around 100.00 -- My buddy in the office got a XT O/B back in Jan and paid allsorts of fees in NJ - totaling around 900.00 extra bucks. -- Deals are around you just have to find them (I called and inter-neted many dealers) -- other then VanBortel -- try Bill Kolb Jr. in Rockland County - but no one came close to the Grand Prix Price
Hope this was helpful

05 O/B XT 5speed Ltd.
04 Forester XT 5speed

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Now regardless of what some may say, just about every dealer has doc fees. Its not merely for dealer profit either, it is a legitimate expense for the dealers efforts to process certain paperwork and whatnot. Every dealer I've ever dealt with has made me pay a doc fee, you may be able to negotiate the price down but you'll still have to pay the fee somewhere within the cost of the vehicle.

And it is true that all dealers' fees are different from one another, there are many variables thrown into the mix though as far as what the cost is.

The moral of the story is that you'll end up having to pay the dealer's doc fees in one way or the other regardless if you know that you are or not ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XTerRu said:
Don't Pay it !!! -- I just purchased a 05 O/B XT Limited on Long Island from Grand Prix in Hicksville for a base of 27,278 (Internet price) and no Document Fees/dealer fees just the NYS tire, NYS Insp, NYS transfer plate
05 O/B XT 5speed Ltd.
04 Forester XT 5speed
Hey XTeRu -- Just wondering, and I'm not questioning your price or anything - I have grand prix a call, and they told me there is no way they can sell the XT LTD for that price. They said a regular XT w/out the LTD package defiantly, but are coming in more like 29k on the limited. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
Todd,

Doc fees are PURE Profit. We have a $45 fee that pays for our NYS DMV messengering service. There are no hidden fees.

Karl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Todd -
Sorry to misinform you about the price - My Wife set me straight last night (she did most of the work on getting such a good price it's her car - I have a 04 XT Forester)
The Price I gave you was for the Reg. XT not the Ltd. the Ltd Price before extras was around 28,500 -- She got such a good price by contacting the dealer via the internet - and was told by Regina (the internet contact @ Grand Prix) "by contacting us through the internet-we are ably to give you a better price then someone walking in the door".
So with some goodies (subwoofer, mirror & all-weather mats) came to around 28.8K and change

Hope this is helpful & good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
XTerRu
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing