Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched and I am getting both answers to be true. Some insight would be appreciated. I found that if pins 6 and 14 are populated(present) on the OBD2 port of the vehicle then it supports CANBUS, so my vehicle as those ports populated. Then I found a datasheet that does not list my vehicle as one that supports CANBUS.

My vehicle again is a white Subaru 1996 legacy OUTBACK AWD
Thank you for the reply.:smile2:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,317 Posts
automatic 2.5 or manual 2.2?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,806 Posts
My understanding is that all early Subaru vehicles with OBD-II (1996 thru after 2002?) were ISO9141.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
I think that in both Oregon and also Colorado, there's a pretty good chance that any given Outback contains cannibus.

Judging by the way I see people drive out here.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
The earliest references that I can find to CAN bus use in Subarus are in the model year range 2004 to 2007. A vehicle dating back to 1996 might have used pins 6 and 14 for something other than CAN.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
The pins are populated for system communication, but the MY96 did not contain a CANBUS protocol. There is a "network" of sorts, that communicate with each other, but like said above, it's ISO9141.

With that said, if you remove a module (like TCU, ABS, SRS, BIU), the system will know, but it probably won't disable engine function unlike a CANBUS system might.

Fun fact: CANBUS goes back as early as the 8-series BMW. Bosch was the first to implement the CANBUS system for automotive use. So while it's been around since the early 90s, it didn't show-up in the Japanese stuff till the mid 2000s.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,317 Posts
Fun fact: CANBUS goes back as early as the 8-series BMW. Bosch was the first to implement the CANBUS system for automotive use. So while it's been around since the early 90s, it didn't show-up in the Japanese stuff till the mid 2000s.
I use to work with a guy that had a BMW 850 stuck in a garage from new,... (so its like a 1990 with less then 100 miles on the clock). he had considered it a family investment, like in 2040 it would be in the back page classifieds of hemmings motor news for big bucks.
(he had too much money at the time anyway,....probably bought a $50,000 chunk of mcdonalds, at the same time).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series_(E31)

Reactions: RoughDiamond
1 - 8 of 8 Posts