Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been shopping for an outback for a while now, and I found that I really like. It is extremely clean and appears to be well taken care of. It is a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium with 90,000 miles.

There is one concern holding me back. The owner says that the Torque Converted was replaced a few weeks ago on warranty. Yes, that's great that the part has been replaced; but I'm wondering, could this past problem with the Torque Converter lead to future problems - such as a bad transmission?

The owned said it stalled out a few times while braking hard and that is when they took it in to get replaced. Judging by his story and how well he has taken car of the car, he probably did take it in soon after noticing the problem. But I am hesitant because the last car we bought (a 2005 Nissan Maxima) had the transmission go out 4 months after buying it. I REALLY don't want to replace another transmission.

Let me know how likely you think a bad torque converter could lead to a bad transmission or any other problem. Thanks!

Nate

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
I would require getting all maintenance and repair receipts handed over to me as part of the deal if I purchased the vehicle. That way, you have a much better understanding of what was done when.

Whenever I sell a vehicle, all of my receipts, records, and documentation go with it. This approach has sold quite a few vehicles for me, usually to the first interested guy who rings my doorbell.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
963 Posts
The most common ripple effect of the torque converter issue on the early CVTs seem to be "poisoning" of the valve body/solenoids from the metal shearing that took place in the torque converter if you had a faulty one. As such, mine being of this model, I put high temp neodymium fill and drain plugs on my CVT (Gold Plug and Dimple are both good options), and do regular fluid drain and fills where I also clean those magnets.

You can pull the dealer service history for free if you register the VIN at my.subaru.com. You can pull a more comprehensive history that includes non-dealership servicing if you register the VIN for free at mycarfax.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts