Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium, all weather package, puddle lights, side panel molding, front and back under guards, Xzilon coating, factory ordered-6weeks
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2013 Outback CVT transmission uses a torque converter? Just curious. I am just trying to get a better understanding of how it works.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 premium, NON pzev!
43 Posts
Excellent question! Finding out as much as possible to the inner workings of newer systems is crucial to proper operation and maintenance for the owner/operator.
Personally I really like the CVT smoothness and versatility with the paddle shift. But I would like to know more about how it works as well as how to get the best overall performance and longevity from it.:)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes. According to the Subaru FSM the CVT uses a "TCC" (Torque converter clutch).

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,463 Posts
Yes. According to the Subaru FSM the CVT uses a "TCC" (Torque converter clutch).
That probably means they are using a locking torque converter, which they have used in previous models. Once the input and output speeds are close, the TCU will lock the torque converter clutch to get 100% efficient transfer.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium, all weather package, puddle lights, side panel molding, front and back under guards, Xzilon coating, factory ordered-6weeks
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. It is an amazing mechanical assembly. So much is going on in a small place. I am new to the 2013 Outback, but so far I am very impressed with the overall form, fit and function of the design.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
It locks. You can feel it disengage at low speeds. Just decelerate, pull it into "1" and watch the economy gauge. When it swings from "Prius" to "Mack truck" you'll feel a very slight shudder as it lets go.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
It locks. You can feel it disengage at low speeds. Just decelerate, pull it into "1" and watch the economy gauge. When it swings from "Prius" to "Mack truck" you'll feel a very slight shudder as it lets go.
You can really notice it when doing a climb at a steady speed also. We have a pretty steep twisty section of road near us where you run 25-30mph and the CVT hunkers down feels like a MT as it locks in. Then when you crest the hill and back off on the throttle for a short distance it feels exactly like a MT right about the time you might reach for the clutch to shift the torque converter backs off on the lock you can really feel it happen. Then it starts to feel like a more traditional AT.

My first CVT and first car with a AT in a long time. Took me a long time to get use to the CVT. But its a pretty impressive piece of kit and was a wise move for the 2.5 which really needs good gear management given its not exactly a power house to start with.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
You can really notice it when doing a climb at a steady speed also. We have a pretty steep twisty section of road near us where you run 25-30mph and the CVT hunkers down feels like a MT as it locks in. Then when you crest the hill and back off on the throttle for a short distance it feels exactly like a MT right about the time you might reach for the clutch to shift the torque converter backs off on the lock you can really feel it happen. Then it starts to feel like a more traditional AT.

My first CVT and first car with a AT in a long time. Took me a long time to get use to the CVT. But its a pretty impressive piece of kit and was a wise move for the 2.5 which really needs good gear management given its not exactly a power house to start with.
Hadn't noticed that yet... I'm going to go drive up a hill right now and try it. I'll be back in 22 hours... (Dang Florida...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts