Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 96 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this board not because I love Subarus but because I hate them.

I have owned one Subaru in my life, a 2003 Outback Legacy wagon 2.5 4 cyclinder and it was nothing but a money pit.

I joined because I'd like to honestly share my experience as a Subaru owner with others and inform them of the better, more cost effective options there are.

I hope this will be allowed and that this is not just a rah rah Subaru's are the best cheerleading site.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I realize that there are costs associated with owning any brand of vehicle, that's a given. It just seems that the quality of the parts used in Subarus (mechanical, electrical and body) are not of the same quality as those of Honda and Toyota. Example: I have owned one Subaru and had to replace both the rear hatch handle and rear tail light assembly. I have never had to replace either on any of the multiple Hondas and Toyotas I have owned. Also it seems like the regular maintenance costs that must be done on all cars, brakes, sensors, suspension etc etc are much more expensive with Subaru than with Honda and Toyota.

But perhaps my biggest gripe with Subaru is the head gasket issue and how they handled it. Many of you may already know that there was an epidemic of failed head gaskets on certain early to mid 2000 models. The issue was quite clearly their fault but instead of stepping up to the plate to issue a recall they left thousands of customers facing repair bills well in excess of 1000 - 1500 dollars. I have NEVER had to replace a head gasket on any Honda or Toyota I have owned much less replace it at 80K miles.

As a father of two with a family budget having to shell out over 1000 in repairs on a car that I've owned for about a year with 80K on it to pay for a manufacturer defect made me very angry.

I've heard Subaru has since resolved the head gasket issue but the way that handled it and my own experience with the one Subaru I have owned has pretty much soured me on the brand. We own a RAV4 and it's just as good/safe in the snowy/icey New England winters as a Subaru and costs us far, far less to maintain.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All I am seeing is that you own a 10 year old car with almost 200,000 miles on it and are upset that you have to pay the occasional slightly inflated repair bill. Any car that is that old, with that many miles, is likely to have a major repair or two. Just the nature of the game... parts wear out.
Did you even read my post? I had to replace the head gasket at 80K miles.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I know how many of you on here love your Suabrus. That's great for you and I'm happy for you. However the point of me starting this thread was that I have owned many different Hondas and Toyotas and not a single one of them cost me as much to maintain as the one Subaru I have owned. Not even close. So to me Subaru is not a good value.

It was more than just the head gasket, tail light and latch that I had to repair. I have pages and pages of service records.

Oh and what's with the boxer engine sounding like a hamster running on a wheel?

At this point I'm just hoping to get another 40-50k out of the car without another major costly repair. At that point I'll probably be looking into a Rav4, Highlander or Forerunner.

1 - 4 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.