Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law is doing my head gaskets as we speak and informed me that they recommend using new head bolts. Subaru dealer has the set for $145 and O'Reilly has the set for $72.

Are OEM crucial when it comes to bolts? I'm on a tight budget right now with getting married but want to do it right.

I need an answer ASAP. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
Brand isn't important but grade and quality are. Many bolts come from China or other foreign countries and are of substandard quality, regardless of their markings. I wouldn't take the chance.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
your father-in-law huh?

type of bolts doesn't matter - he'll fix it so that you're doomed anyway.

(I'm the father of 3 grown daughters.)

lol!

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
yes, brand does matter. use the existing subaru USED bolts and save 75$ - 145$.

as rob said, no need to replace them unless they are damamged. most dealers do not replace them. and no where in the FSM does it say to replace them. new gaskets yes, new bolts no.

save your money. spend it on getting the heads cleaned and checked (resurfaced if needed) at a machine shop instead. you will end up with a better finished product.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
104 Posts
I have done several head gaskets jobs and just reused the bolts. If I was doing a turbo motor I would replace them with arp studs but this isn't. Just remember to dip the threads in engine oil and use an assembly lube for the valvetrain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts