Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the title says. I have a factory installed trailer hitch and we only used it once and the lights didn’t work. Original warranty is over. But will Gold Plus work for this? The service desk guy wasn’t very helpful.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hitch and lights are different things.

Lights as lights on the trailer you towed?

So first off small trailer lights are notorious for not working. I tow maybe 1-2 times a month yr around. The only time I have ever had issues on the vehicle side was from a 22yr old plug that was corroded.

The lighting trailer plug on the car is a $12 part that plugs into a wire harness under the wheel cover in the back of the car. These mixing boxes can fail if the trailer lighting is severely compromised which isn’t uncommon. Especially rental trailers.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,114 Posts

Note: "Accessories are covered only if factory installed or approved." This should include any defects in the OE trailer hitch and related wiring. Of course, wear and tear due to usage or environmental exposure is not covered.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
Before you get too worried - get one of these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/I26.html

You can find them in pretty much any auto parts store, even Home Depot and Lowe's might have them.

Simply plug it into the 4-flat outlet at your hitch. It will light up on each of the signals, it's a cheap way to verify your vehicle wiring is actually working.

As was mentioned above - most of the time trailer lights don't work it's because of the trailer wiring, not the car.

Read the manual carefully, it will say something like, "Damage from towing is not covered under warranty." So if the trailer shorted something out, it *might* not be covered. If the tester shows the wiring harness is not generating the signals then the warranty on the factory installed accessory *should* be covered (my opinion) unless someone can show it was damaged by the trailer.

edit:

Is there a deductible? A DIY fix is probably going to be well less than $50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts