Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post to this forum. I will be a daddy for the first time any day now, and I'm preparing to replace my 1999 Maxima SE with something that will accomodate Pack-n-plays and Strollers as well as our luggage (and be safer). As hard as I look, I can't find a better bang per buck than the '05 OB XT.

One concern: I read in the Audi A4 forum that the 2001 Avant wagon's back seats were so small that the rear facing infant car seats actually force the front seat passenger and driver to move their seats up. (This assumes you place the car seat in the middle). Per Edmunds, the '05 Outback's rear seat leg room is about 1/2" bigger than the Outback. Now mind you, I am no giant at 5'8" (wife is 5'2", so NBA hopes for this kid are dashed), but my wife may want to stretch out a bit on the long trips. Questions:

1. Has anybody put an infant car seat into the new Outback? How tight is the fit?
2. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the "leg room" statistics in Edmunds are comparable. I wonder if they are? Do the statistics measure the distance from the front of the rear seat to the back of the front seat, or does it measure the distance from the rear seatback to the back of the front seat.

Sheezzz that was long winded. If this experiment hasn't yet been done, I may just take the seat to the dealer and do the test myself.

Thanks in advance!! I'm looking forward to my new Subbie, but I will wait until Winter or next Summer when there is a better chance for rebates or other discounts. This think seems too hot now.

Bob

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
I can't comment specifically on the new OB, but for comparisons sake...

I have a car seat in both my '04 Outback Sport (Impreza) and '99 Impreza L Coupe, which are both MUCH smaller all around than the new Outbacks, including rear seat. No problems at all. He is not front facing anymore, but I had the rear facing in the Outback Sport with no problem and previously had a rear facing in our Legacy Wagon with no problems. In my opinion the Outback is the perfect alternative to an SUV as a kidmobile.

Oh, and congrats in advance on becoming a father!

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Oh, and the car seat that has been in our Outback Sport both front and rear facing is a Britax, which you may or may not know is big and bulky as far as car seats go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rear facing infant car seat in new OB

Hi,
I've got one of those in the backseat of our new '04 MY (EU) ('05 to you on the other side of the pond) Outback. It's a Britax if I remember correctly. Ours is placed behind the passenger seat in a upright kind of position. Previously we had a VW Passat Syncro and compared to that, one in our opinion at least have a somewhat more comfortable ride in the Subaru's front seat. However, anyone much more than 6' will have to develop extra leg joints if they want to fit into the seat without having to remove the glove compartment hatch. The Passat was a bit more spacious in that respect. What's more of an irritant is the Subarus's triangular shaped rear doors that makes it somewhat difficult to negociate a non-cooperative child into the seat in the first place. So it's a win some, lose some thing, but it's doable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes,

An infant car seat will fit in the back seat of the XT. The car even has the LATCH system (it is mandated by law, I think in the states)to ensure the car seat will not move even if the seatbelt is not hooked. The problem with car seats however, is that they are quite bulky. Putting the seat in the middle of the back seat will leave little room on either side, although this is the safest place to put it. If you do not have any other regular passengers, this will be just fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have a baby capsule in out 04 3.0R and the only thing that bothers us is the capsule covers the 2 outside passenger seatbelt clips making a lttle hard to buckle up for the passengers,you get use to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
jimmbo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing