Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new 2019 OB Touring. Yesterday afternoon, we left the trunk door open. We'd taken our dog swimming and her bed back there was wet, and we wanted to air it out. When we got in the car this morning, it wouldn't start. The "start/stop" button is orange.

Does this mean the battery is dead?

If so, pretty lame that leaving a door open like this would drain the battery.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Jump the battery, it should be fine. A common issue with gen 5 outback. Apparently an open tailgate will consume power even with the lights out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaving the trunk open on my Tesla doesn’t drain the battery. I do it all the time.

I called Subaru Roadside and they’re going to come jump. Good to know that we can’t leave a door open.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Leaving the trunk open on my Tesla doesn’t drain the battery. I do it all the time.

I called Subaru Roadside and they’re going to come jump. Good to know that we can’t leave a door open.
Buy a jump box. It will be your friend. Search the forum and you will find the OB has a weak battery and many of us replaced them early with a more powerful battery.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I have come to learn a common trick on here is to put a carabiner in the latch of the open hatch. It tricks the car into thinking it is closed. Just a useful note for next time.
Thread Link here

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The battery really should be charged fully after going dead. Just jump starting it and running the car to let the alternator charge it isn't the best option.

And yes, this is common. I found this site when looking for answers after my battery went dead after leaving the rear gate open for about a half-hour. When it happened twice in about a week or so I went and bought a battery with decent specifications and never looked back.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Are you saying that you should let it run the alternator for a long time or that you should charge it by some other means?
Yeah, I read that after I posted and knew I should have been a little more clear. When a battery goes that low the best option is to use a battery charger to get it back to full charge. Of course that isn't always practical or possible but it would take a long drive to get if back to a full charge and make the alternator work pretty hard in getting there. A separate battery charger isn't completely necessary but is a good idea when possible.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Instead of a carabiner, I use this hack for stopping the drainage of open rear gate:

You can do the hack with a key, a screw driver, or a similar tool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kind of ridiculous that this is even necessary, but I appreciate all of the suggestions!

For charging the battery fully, would something like a NOCO 1000 Amp 12 Volt battery charger work?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, is this something (i.e. battery replacement) I should try to get warranty coverage for? Or does Subaru just see this as a non-issue?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
For charging the battery fully, would something like a NOCO 1000 Amp 12 Volt battery charger work?
That's not a charger (GB40), that's a jump starter (but a good thing to carry in the vehicle). They do however appear to make good chargers - check out the NOCO "Genius" line of products. Another popular brand is Battery Tender. Look for something with at least 1 amp output. That will be very slow to charge a deeply discharged battery, so you might consider something with more output (I use a 7A smart charger from CTEK and that's still on the slow side, but better for battery health).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not a charger (GB40), that's a jump starter (but a good thing to carry in the vehicle). They do however appear to make good chargers - check out the NOCO "Genius" line of products. Another popular brand is Battery Tender. Look for something with at least 1 amp output. That will be very slow to charge a deeply discharged battery, so you might consider something with more output (I use a 7A smart charger from CTEK and that's still on the slow side, but better for battery health).
Thanks! Maybe this Noco Genius 8A? I don't know much about this stuff, so I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Leaving your door open on any Subaru or any vehicle will drain the battery.
Actually not necessarily for the rear gate, at least if you have a 2018 like mine. Page 6-3 in the Manual shows the three way switch above the rear gate opening can be turned OFF, so the light won’t come on if the gate is opened. No need for carabiners, etc., if you want to leave it open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Thanks! Maybe this Noco Genius 8A? I don't know much about this stuff, so I appreciate your help.
That's a dual bank charger for marine use, not automotive. I haven't done the homework to recommend anything besides a CTEK 7002, which is expensive but well regarded. There are plenty of far cheaper units that will get the job done, just with fewer features. I'd start with Amazon best sellers:

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Actually not necessarily for the rear gate, at least if you have a 2018. Page 6-3 in the Manual shows the three way switch above the rear gate opening can be turned OFF, so the light won’t come on if the gate is opened. No need for carabiners, etc., if you want to leave it open.

I was thinking the light would be on on any vehicle I've seen. I guess you could just turn it off but no one said anything about that.

I guess a Tesla would be OK because it might be smart enough to turn off the light if a door is open and even if it isn't it probably has an LED light and a 100,000 wh battery compared to our incandescent bulb and 1,000 wh battery. (Guessing)

It would take months of leaving the door open to drain the battery.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Actually not necessarily for the rear gate, at least if you have a 2018 like mine. Page 6-3 in the Manual shows the three way switch above the rear gate opening can be turned OFF, so the light won’t come on if the gate is opened. No need for carabiners, etc., if you want to leave it open.

It is NOT that easy. There is still a 1 amp drain if the light is off in that state. There are many threads discussing this. You need the carabiner or the hack to flick the latch closed. Fortunately, these 2 hacks are extremely simple, but you must learn them to save your battery while the gate is open for an extended period.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a dual bank charger for marine use, not automotive. I haven't done the homework to recommend anything besides a CTEK 7002, which is expensive but well regarded. There are plenty of far cheaper units that will get the job done, just with fewer features. I'd start with Amazon best sellers:

Thanks again. Looks like Amazon has the CTEK 7002 for just over $100. I'll just do that!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts