Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,730 Posts
Just wondering if Subaru uses EDR and to what extent......
From NHTSA: EDR FAQs:
... the Federal government does not require manufacturers to install EDRs ... [NHTSA regulations require] vehicle manufacturers to include a standardized statement in the owner’s manual indicating that the vehicle is equipped with an EDR and describing the purposes of EDRs.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
From a Subaru owner's manual

"This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR). The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an air bag deployment or hitting a road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s systems performed. The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less. The EDR in this vehicle is designed to
record such data as:
. How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
. Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened;
. How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or brake
pedal; and,
. How fast the vehicle was traveling.

These data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in
which crashes and injuries occur. NOTE: EDR data are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under normal driving conditions and no personal data (e.g., name, gender, age, and crash location) are recorded. However, other parties, such as law enforcement, could combine the EDR data with the type of personally identifying data routinely acquired during a crash investigation.

To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or the EDR is needed. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have the special equipment, can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the EDR."

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,809 Posts
From a Subaru owner's manual:

" NOTE: EDR data are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under normal driving conditions "

Pure BS - the EDR HAS to be constantly recording in order to have the information that leads to a crash - data cannot be recorded after the fact. What it should have said is that the recordings are only RETAINED if a crash occurs. Big difference there.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Pure BS - the EDR HAS to be constantly recording in order to have the information that leads to a crash - data cannot be recorded after the fact. What it should have said is that the recordings are only RETAINED if a crash occurs. Big difference there.
I agree.

I'm sure what is printed in the manual was created by an office full of legal beagles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,041 Posts
So let's break out the Reynold's and combine the EDR with the new facial recognition coming in the new Forester and likely in other Subies.

1. How soon before LEO, insurance carriers and other interested parties start demanding access to both systems?

2. Will Subie ever sell the info to insurance companies for rate purposes, much like the Progressive Ins. Co. plugin module.

3. Do or can you opt out of any of this? EULA is likely fairly extensive.

4. With the new facial system will that allow access or the ability to upload your face to 3rd parties?

Personally, I'm not in favor of the facial system because it opens up the door to a ton a privacy issues but I'd like to know more.

Please discuss.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT
126 Posts
Big brother a problem?

I already have gotten E-mails telling me about washer fluid being low. I'd like it to warn me when the 'low fuel' or 'TPMS' lights come on. Other drivers in family ignore those lights and expect good'ol dad to mind read that service is needed...

If a 'connected' automobile is safer to drive...

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,863 Posts
Big brother a problem?

I already have gotten E-mails telling me about washer fluid being low. I'd like it to warn me when the 'low fuel' or 'TPMS' lights come on. Other drivers in family ignore those lights and expect good'ol dad to mind read that service is needed...

If a 'connected' automobile is safer to drive...
You should get an email for the TPMS light coming on. At least I did the day I had my winter tires put on without the sensors installed. At first I was worried it was going to send me a message every day until winter was over but I only got the one email. I wouldn't think the low fuel light would trigger an email though.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
533 Posts
I know this past summer, I air-downed my tires to drive over sand at the beach. Got an email on my iPhone telling me to check my TPMS due to low tire pressure. Walks a fine line between important information and something creepy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm installing a brake controller and was looking for a spot under the center console to stash the brain. I disconnected the x-mode, parking brake, and hill control switches to move the console. I also had to turn the car on to move the gearshift. This caused the Eyesight warning to show on the dash. I got an email from Subaru and a telephone call from dealership to see what happened. Super creepy.

As far as that TPMS goes, that seems to randomly pop on even though my pressures are fine. I have to address that at some point.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I know this past summer, I air-downed my tires to drive over sand at the beach. Got an email on my iPhone telling me to check my TPMS due to low tire pressure. Walks a fine line between important information and something creepy...
Which simply shows you that the system is doing what it's supposed to, and nothing else.

Are your tires low? If yes, then send e-mail. If not, then no e-mail.

Your intent has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,340 Posts
Next thing we will be getting emails telling us to lay off the donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm ok though I only eat the low fat ones with pink icing:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
514 Posts
Which simply shows you that the system is doing what it's supposed to, and nothing else.

Are your tires low? If yes, then send e-mail. If not, then no e-mail.

Your intent has nothing to do with it.
Curious if an active Starlink subscription is needed to get push notifications? I've only had it happen once. However I knew of the low tire pressure warning well before I got the email telling me so.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,339 Posts
Of course, the only way you'd be getting these warnings is if Starlink is active.

If it's constantly overwriting buffered data, which presumably it is, then I wouldn't consider that a deceptive statement.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
514 Posts
I presumed so however the system is not dormant even though you aren't paying for it's features. Several years ago it was found GM's OnStar system was still monitoring some customer information even in non-subscription accounts. Supposedly has/was stopped. I can't recall if I got a follow-up "come-in-for-service" email from the dealer. Any case not an issue.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,619 Posts
Not the same but I recently started using State farm "drive safe an save" on my cars. It monitors turns, stopping, speed braking and time of day. In my BMW I get a C- rating for my left and right turns. I am just taking turns normally on city streets. Not going fast :) Too soon to tell on my Subaru. Point is, all this stuff was very easily monitored (believed recorded) by a 2" Bluetooth beacon and my cell phone. Kind of worries me about what else it may be collecting as well as their definition of safe.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,730 Posts
... the EDR HAS to be constantly recording in order to have the information that leads to a crash - data cannot be recorded after the fact. What it should have said is that the recordings are only RETAINED if a crash occurs. Big difference there.
You're arguing semantics here. The verb "record" implies a degree of permanence. The EDR system is continuously monitoring multiple driving parameters, but it only records them to non-volatile storage if an impact event occurs. To record pre-crash data, all EDR has to do is buffer it for no more than 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,809 Posts
Not semantics at all - for the data to be available to be looked at, it has to be recorded and stored, even if it is only for a certain time cycle before being over written.

In fact, in the first part of Subaru's explanation, it says that they do exactly that:

"The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less ".

Meaning that the data is recorded and stored for whatever the cycle time is before being overwritten, unless certain parameters are exceeded, at which time we can presume that recording is stopped, and the data from that time cycle is available to be downloaded, whether from a memory card or from a buffer.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Doesnt the SOS in these cars sense when you're in a crash and call you to see what happened? I just imagine it did and of course it's constantly recording/sending data if it's got that kind of system on board

As others have said though, this is nothing new, My 2012 Camaro had all the same things, and when you got in a wreck Onstar immediately contacted you in the vehicle to check on things

1 - 20 of 28 Posts