Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back when we first got our VDC, my wife parked it under a tree on a windy day. You can guess what happens next. She returns to the car with a brand new dent in the hood and crease in the passenger fender. :(

Since then, I've been searching for a replacement that is the right color. Our car is the Frost White Pearl that I think was only available for the LLB and VDC models. Being a pearl color, it's near impossible to match to have a new one painted.

Time passes and I locate one in mint condition in Texas for $40! Another $55 gets it to me in Washington. This weekend I have the pleasure of installing it, which begs the question in the title, "Do I have to remove the bumper?" If so, how bad of a job is that?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yes bumper is pretty easy to remove. There will be some plastic pop pin type holders at the corners and pretty sure there is at least one screw at the top edge holding it to the fender. The bumper covers are held in place the full length by a zipper like catch molded into the bumper which snaps into a groove on the car.

You want the bumper to be warm leave it sitting in the sun so its nice and flexible. Make sure you get all the pop pins removed these should be reusable so fiddle some with the first one and understand how it works so you don't damage them when you remove them. run the entire length of the bumper bottom and top make sure all the screws and pop pins are removed. Then by hand only start at the top corner in the fender well area and gently start pulling the cover loose. Take your time you don't want to twist it or break any of the zipper type teeth off the plastic cover. Once you see how it works its really not hard its just understanding how the bumper is held on and not rushing it.

Warm soft plastic is key to making it much easier and less risk of cracking or breaking the plastic.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that. Hopefully this all goes well tomorrow...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good advise for removing bumper, but you don't have to, to replace a fender!

There are usually 2 bolts hidden in the door hinge area and one/two that goes through the bumper.Plus the usual ones on the hood area.
You will have to remove the fender liner first though. Mostly popits, but a screw or two.
Watch how the markers and turn signals attach.
Overall an easy job, just time consuming, like most things.

O.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts