Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wife wouldn't let me buy the factory roof basket when i could've gotten that huge rebate. now we don't have enough room. does this work as well as the subaru one?

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Bradz I freaking love our old Thule roof box its like having a whole different car when we toss it on the lid. The only down side to the roof box is your not packing really heavy sharp bulky stuff in it like say your chain saw or 5 sticks of seasoned oak for that campfire your planning on having.

The upside! It works well for pretty much every season - Tahoe we toss all the wet clothing and boots in it at the end of the day with the skis and the car stays clean and dry. Summer we pack it full of various soft and bulky stuff leaving the trunk open for the ice chest and other stuff + the dog can ride atop the gear in his bed when we do the roof box. I recall ours was like 30inches wide kinda narrow compared to the huge jumbo boxes sold today- however I can put two bikes up there with the box on 54inch bars or put the 16ft canoe up there with the box on the 66 inch bars. Major plus!

Keep your eyes on Craigs list they do pop up but they sell crazy fast when they do.

I used a friends basket on my Legacy several years ago for a messy wood cutting project the basket was great for that but I couldn't see my self using it beyond that. (chain saw - gas can and some other heavy dirty work items kept them out of the car was great)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Basket + a roof bag would be an OK option and give you lots of gear space by the way!
That basket looks pretty good. I bet the only major difference is that the finish on it is just basic paint vs baked on finish so you might find your self hitting it with a black spray can now and then to keep the rust at bay. $130 + say the cheap $50 Target roof bag I picked up for our tent trailer would make for a great hauling option.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I'd go with the extension for another $69.

·
Registered
557 Posts
oh, that will def work!!!

i have a similar, no longer available, coleman basket that i got from costco for approx. $65 delivered.

a bunch of people took advantage of that deal a few years back.

i also got the extension which cost me more than the basket!

again, that basket will work :)

joel

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just came today. its pretty easy to install, but the fasteners are the worst. i have really bad blisters but dont wanna crank down on the plastic with tools. oh well, saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IF YOU BUY ONE OF THESE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND USE A WATERPUMP PLIERS! THIS SHOULD BE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my car was supposed to take my wife and a few others on a 900 mile round trip to go camping so i bought a roof basket, also for when we take the dog, but the other girl is so gung ho on borrowing a truck that she doesn't need. i think its hilarious she wants to spend close to $300 in gas when itd be just over $100 if they took the outback. the outback would have plenty of room with all their ****. i wonder if a beat up 15 year old GM truck can even make it that far?

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
my car was supposed to take my wife and a few others on a 900 mile round trip to go camping so i bought a roof basket, also for when we take the dog, but the other girl is so gung ho on borrowing a truck that she doesn't need. i think its hilarious she wants to spend close to $300 in gas when itd be just over $100 if they took the outback. the outback would have plenty of room with all their ****. i wonder if a beat up 15 year old GM truck can even make it that far?
I can tell you from experience that the GM fuel pump failure with the trucks is so common all the remote out of the way NAPA parts stores keep them in stock. By the way it takes two people about 3.5 hrs in a windy dirty Elko NV parking lot to replace it. And just for kicks Siri diagnosed our failed fuel pump before we even got out of the truck to take a look after rolling to a stop on the side of Highway 80. 75mph with no power and a trailer is a bit unnerving by the way.

Out of curiosity I asked if he carried any Subaru parts in stock. He started laughing at me and said man the last subaru I had come through here and order a part was back in the 80's when Subaru messed up and built some crappy cars. HA HA!! Seriously thats what he said.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I recall my buddy in the back seat being a wise ass. As we coasted to the shoulder of 80 about 8 miles outside of Elko NV - middle of freaking no where!! By the way. This was on a Tuesday mid day. Local GM dealer couldn't do the job till Wednesday the following week! Owner must have owned a few local hotels and brothels and was trying to generate some customers. HA HA

My buddy says hey I'll ask Siri what to do ha ha. He says something like engine died on highway. The first thing that came up was a check list for checking to see if the fuel pump had failed. **** if Siri wasn't right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone else have any experience with the CURT roof basket on a current generation outback? Looks nice for the price, but i'm hoping someone can confirm its quality is acceptable! thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 V6 Silver Pathfinder
159 Posts
Revival of an old thread but I just ordered the curt basket and extension. Should have it up and photographed in just a few days.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quality is ok, yakima is probably better, not sure, but they are definitely wider. i would bump my head putting my daughter in her car seat. so its good i got the curt. she sits right behind me and her car seat swivels so i don't have to crawl inside like with normal car seats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts