Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm already convinced that EyeSight can teach some people to be marginally better drivers because it complains if the driver fails to signal before changing lanes. However, is it possible that it plays the role of student as well as teacher?

Has anyone seen any indication that EyeSight is capable of learning? I ask because it seems to have figured out a certain patch of road (currently under construction) that I've passed about eight times in both directions. This spot is kind of unique in my driving pattern. The road is arrow-straight running east/west. During construction, there's a 400-yard temporary bypass of new road.

This patchwork road configuration triggered the lane alert on my first passes in each direction but not in the recent passes. I did everything I could to trigger the alert in my last pass (~15 mph)--heading straight towards the orange barrels, no brake, and veering later than normal. The maneuver was perfectly safe and may have raised the eyebrow of law enforcement but wouldn't merit a stop.

I'm allowing for the possibility that it's training me (and not the other way around) but I kinda hope it's using NAV to rethink the probabilities of certain spots. I never considered that it might be working with the GPS but it seems to know something it didn't know before.

If I'm just imaging the change, put me on record as requesting this in future upgrades. I like the idea of synching with an updated map or tagging exceptions.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
I guess a fair question to ask is: did the road itself change at all when it stopped complaining? Usually they will re-line a road during construction so that you can actually drive it at night without too many issues. If it hadn't been re-lined yet the first couple of times, then it would trigger the lane departure as you crossed the old lines. The system is designed to watch the road lines themselves.

I don't believe the eyesight system ties too much into the GPS, as it isn't really helpful for what it is trying to do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess a fair question to ask is: did the road itself change at all when it stopped complaining? Usually they will re-line a road during construction so that you can actually drive it at night without too many issues. If it hadn't been re-lined yet the first couple of times, then it would trigger the lane departure as you crossed the old lines. The system is designed to watch the road lines themselves.

I don't believe the eyesight system ties too much into the GPS, as it isn't really helpful for what it is trying to do.
I like where you're going but, no, it did not change.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Even so, I'm not very inclined to believe any learning is going on, per se. I'd have to check the manual to get a better idea of what the expected behavior is. The complexity in something like eyesight is in the identification and mapping of objects around the vehicle. Once you have them identified and positioned, the rest of the logic doesn't need to be all that complex.

I do wonder if after a number of alarms, it simply shuts up. It could create a GPS location to make a specific exception, but it'd be easier to just have it shut up if there are a number of alarms and no crash happens.

EDIT: Looks like a long list of exceptions when the lane departure system turns off. Your mention of 15 mph makes sense now, since that is below the speed that the system turns on.

In the following situations, the Lane Departure Warning will or may not activate:

Vehicle speed is approximately 32 MPH (50 km/h) or less.
For approximately 7 seconds after the Lane Departure Warning activates once
When the steering wheel is turned significantly to either side
When the brake pedal is depressed or immediately after it is depressed When the accelerator pedal is almost fully depressed and the vehicle is accelerating or immediately after accelerating
When the following distance behind a vehicle in front is short
While the turn signal is operating and for approximately 7 seconds after the turn signal lever has returned to its original position
When the vehicle has not returned to the inside of the lane after the Lane Departure Warning has activated
The lane is narrow.
When it is difficult for the camera to detect lane markings:
- It is difficult to detect lane markings as they are similar in color to the road surface.
- There are no lane markings (white lines, etc.) or they are very worn.
- The lane markings are narrow.

When the lead vehicle has taken measures to avoid an obstacle and following this you have performed steering operations.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
EDIT: Looks like a long list of exceptions when the lane departure system turns off. Your mention of 15 mph makes sense now, since that is below the speed that the system turns on.
The system is definitely active at 15 mph and in the driving conditions I encountered. The last pass was almost identical to every other pass except for the last second swerve.

I'm every bit as skeptical as you. I don't believe that it uses GPS or learns. I'm observing something I can't explain and I'm allowing for the likelihood that I'm misunderstanding.

Edit: I haven't controlled for following distance. That's next.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Seems like it could be a mix of the following
When the steering wheel is turned significantly to either side
at least you attempt to activate it would fit this criteria.

The lane is narrow.
When it is difficult for the camera to detect lane markings:
- It is difficult to detect lane markings as they are similar in color to the road surface.
- There are no lane markings (white lines, etc.) or they are very worn.
- The lane markings are narrow.
Most times I take a temporary road detour, it's narrower than usual. Maybe it recognizes that.
Maybe the lines have faded moreso than the first time, or they scraped them up a little. Or maybe the moved the barrells closer to the road lane, maybe not enough for you to notice, but enough for the system to think it's "too narrow"

I agree with the consensus that it doesn't learn as that would be counterintuitive to it's purpose.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah, the key phrasing is "will or may not activate". Meaning that in those situations, you may or may not get a warning. And there are enough exceptions there that apply which could cause something to be intermittent.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the off chance that anyone is curious, here's the update from my testing.

I controlled for most of the explicitly-stated issues in the manual. The sun is the likely culprit. More specifically, the angle of the sun's rays as they bounce off the sealer that covers up the old centerlines. When the sun is low in the sky, the reflection is bright enough for EyeSight to mistake the lines as painted.

My first passes were late in the day at a time when EyeSight is prone to misjudge the lines. That wasn't an issue with subsequent passes over the same stretch at a different time of day.

I continue to be impressed by the accuracy of the system and expect it will be fooled into giving false positives and false negatives in the real-world environment.

I still like the idea of a learning system in some future deployment. My wife is giddy at the possibility that self-navigating cars are just a few years away.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Although I don't think I would ever buy such a system, I am certainly intrigued by how they work. I suppose in 10-15 years they are going to be standard on most mid level and up cars, maybe my next OB will have it lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts