Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased Hidden Hitch (part# 87568) from eTrailer.com for my 2011 Outback. It arrived yesterday, but it looks funny to me. So I would like to ask comments from owners of the same Hidden Hitch.

It looks like that metal frame on the right side is welded in angle. When I flip the hitch on the ground, one side on the metal frame does not sit flat. It doesn't seem to be bent during shipment. It rather looks welded with an angle.

Does you Hidden Hitch look the same? Is this normal?

Please help.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
I don't have a hitch yet but that one definitely looks as though it was welded at an angle that's not 90*...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
Yep, unless your frame is shaped like that when you go to install, I'd say it's welded incorrectly as well. :2cents:

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Just checked my hitch and it looks the same, it installed just fine. I retract my previous statement.

It might be worth a call anyway, I doubt your the first to notice that.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Send pics to eTrailer.. they are pretty good in responding.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Isn't that for the contour of the under carriage on the right side before you bolt on the right arm bracket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Send pics to eTrailer.. they are pretty good in responding.
Hi jogosub,

I will send pictures to eTrailer. I just wanted to check with owners of the same hitch since it's the most popular hitch for 4th gen Outback (per eTrailer).

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
I just looked at my Hidden Hitch on a 2012 3.6R Outback and it has the right hand bracket at an angle. It does not seem to be as much as the OP's. I also noticed his has more square tube beyond the bracket than mine. Mine measures about 1/2 inch. I measured between the brackets and got 26 1/4 inches center to center if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Hi jogosub,

I will send pictures to eTrailer. I just wanted to check with owners of the same hitch since it's the most popular hitch for 4th gen Outback (per eTrailer).

Thanks
I have the same hitch although it's labelled as U-Haul (They are both manufactured by a company called Cequent) but those sides come at 90 deg angle....at least mine do....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for responding quickly.

I sent pictures to eTrailer. Will see what they say...
I will update you within a few days (I hope).

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I've installed two hidden hitches on the Gen4's - only way to know for sure is to simply check and see if the holes line up under the car. Grab a friend for a second and just lay on your back with your friend by you under the back of the car and hold the bar and see if it lines up with the black rubber plugs in the frame rail. If it doesn't then the hitch was welded crooked.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
If the receiver is centered on the square tubing it may not "center" properly to the car. One bracket is way farther from the end of the square tubing than the other. I also can't imagine a frame rail matching that left side bracket angle. My .02c.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

I got e-mail back from eTrailer.com and they are sending replacement hitch. They saw pictures and acknowledged defective hitch. I should be getting prepaid label to ship back defective one also.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
Hi

I got e-mail back from eTrailer.com and they are sending replacement hitch. They saw pictures and acknowledged defective hitch. I should be getting prepaid label to ship back defective one also.
Great news!! I've used them for quite a few different vehicle hitches and never have had an issue with products or service for them.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
Good news. I wish all suppliers were as up front and as easy to deal with as Etrailer. A top notch company.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts