Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium with 40,500 miles. Recently, I started noticing drips of oil on my garage floor; however, I have not noticed any significant oil loss when I change oil, and I change oil every 6 months.

Yesterday, I looked under my Outback and saw oil on my oil pan. It appears oil is coming from the right side of the engine. I have attached photos. Does it look like a head gasket leak?

I've read about head gasket leaks and hoped they would come way, way later.

Attachments

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,189 Posts
2016 vehicles are not known for head gasket leaks BUT they have been known to have leaks in the Cam Carrier (the large aluminium piece at the front of the engine).

Seagrass

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2016 vehicles are not known for head gasket leaks BUT they have been known to have leaks in the Cam Carrier (the large aluminium piece at the front of the engine).

Seagrass
Thank you, Seagrass. Do you by chance know if oil leaks are covered under warranty if my vehicle is older than 3 years and over 36K mileage? Currently, my Outback is 4.5 years old with 40,500 miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Seagrass
I did not see any leaks in the Cam Carrier, but I went in with a digital endoscope and was able to see what looks like a leak around the head gasket on the passenger side, on the back of the engine. See picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Although that is technically leaking I would call it a “weep” and I doubt it will develop into a leak that drips oil.

If you are worried about it (I would not be worried at all) clean it up and inspect it again at the next oil change.

Seagrass

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although that is technically leaking I would call it a “weep” and I doubt it will develop into a leak that drips oil.

If you are worried about it (I would not be worried at all) clean it up and inspect it again at the next oil change.

Seagrass
I found out if I take my Outback in now, it will be covered under warranty. However, if I wait until the next oil change, my warranty will be out. I very unsure of what to do. On the one hand I want this issue fixed but on the other hand I'm afraid dealership will do more harm than good, considering they will probably have to pull my engine.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Pulling the motor is not a complex job and is nothing to be concerned about. The later models (drive by wire) have less connections then previous versions and an engine removal is much simpler.

If you are worried about these “leaks” (I am not sure they are worth worrying about) AND the repairs will be covered by warranty then I suggest you get them taken care of before the warranty no longer applies.

Seagrass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts