Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my rear bumper replaced on my 2013 Outback after I was dinged in a parking lot. Here are a couple of photos of the new bumper. To me, it appears that the dealer collision center did not match the paint correctly. The bumper appears to be lighter than the body.

Can someone tell me if they agree or not? (see attached images)

Thanks for your help.

rcmx

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
From the two pictures you posted, it does appear to be somewhat lighter in color or more "silver" in color than the panel next to it.

Not sure if it's just the light or not. Hard to tell colors inpictures sometimes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lol, wow that's not even close. It's like the difference between gray and silver. Yes, those are two different colors. They are probably going to give you some jazz about wear and whatnot, but it's a 2013, so where's the sun fade?

<buzzer sound> Wrong answer, Mr. Dealer Man. Do it again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah - it looks like two different colors to me as well. The blue ice color seems to be popular for the 2013s (by me anyway). Give your outback a good wash and compare it to another one with the same color on their lot.

Point out the difference and have them fix it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The paints they use on the flexible plastic bumper covers is not the same type of paint used on the hard body panels. This is why you don't have the bumper repainted for very small minor scratches given there is a very VERY big probability the bumper will not match the car paint when they finish repainting it.

I bet you have a hard time getting the shop to repaint it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks like a checkerboard to me.
They didn't finish the work until everything matches like new.
They most likely saw the difference as they are in the business. They figured they would shine up the tires and you wouldn't then notice the checkerboard rear end.

Tell them they made the rear tires nice, NOW DO THE BUMPER.:mad::17:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah - it looks like two different colors to me as well. The blue ice color seems to be popular for the 2013s (by me anyway). Give your outback a good wash and compare it to another one with the same color on their lot.

Point out the difference and have them fix it.
Heck, compare it to the front factory bumper. If it matches, then fine. If it is different as the majority of us think it is, then re-do the entire job.

First car I ever painted had metallic flake paint with clearcoat over it from the factory. I had to mix the paint just right along with the metal flake just so.

The guy in the auto store told me that I needed to know what I was doing to repaint portions of my car. I purchased everything and worked on it about three weeks. When I was done, it looked like a brand new car, one couldn't tell the difference between the OEM factory paint and the paint I applied, that was how well it matched. And, I didn't paint the entire car, just the hood, behind four wheels, lower doors, lower door jambs, etc. When I was done, the car looked brand new.

I learned that everything must be clean and there is a lot of sanding, buffing and polishing to get it right.

When I put my mind to something, I can do it, even if I need to improvise in certain things where some special tool is needed.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I think first you should complain to your insurance company (if they were involved) - they may "authorize" you to go to a different body/paint shop. Same shop may do something to your car ... it's like complaining in a restaurant and return a dish; be careful, what they bring back to to you! LOL
Second: it's very difficult to paint plastic. A reputable body shop has to send selected workers for training, how to paint plastic. It's not just spraying a paint on it ... there is a special procedure for painting those surfaces that are plastic and flexible.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tell them don't let Stanley mix the paint, his seeing eye dog retired 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think first you should complain to your insurance company (if they were involved) - they may "authorize" you to go to a different body/paint shop. Same shop may do something to your car ... it's like complaining in a restaurant and return a dish; be careful, what they bring back to to you!
Second: it's very difficult to paint plastic. A reputable body shop has to send selected workers for training, how to paint plastic. It's not just spraying a paint on it ... there is a special procedure for painting those surfaces that are plastic and flexible.
They are either IN THE BUSINESS of painting cars or THEY ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS. We must assume that they ARE, IN FACT, IN THE BUSINESS since they took the job on!

To take on the job if they didn't know what they were doing, what kind of outfit is that?:gasp::confused:
:17:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
just put spray on bedliner over the whole car. go out and have fun and quit bitching! just kidding, some good advice here, id never let someone say they "repaired" my car and did something like that

·
Registered
514 Posts
just put spray on bedliner over the whole car. go out and have fun and quit bitching! just kidding, some good advice here, id never let someone say they "repaired" my car and did something like that
A 5-Gallon container of Driveway Sealer would really help protect the car! Just use an old broom to apply it, you want the texture to be on the rough-side for more protection! Use gasoline on a rag to get the excess off the windows.

Make sure you and your friends working on it aren't smoking anything when using the gasoline.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
A 5-Gallon container of Driveway Sealer would really help protect the car! Just use an old broom to apply it, you want the texture to be on the rough-side for more protection! Use gasoline on a rag to get the excess off the windows.

Make sure you and your friends working on it aren't smoking anything when using the gasoline.
Ha ha Oh the fun and games one could have with that painting effort.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had to have my '08 Legacy rear quarter panel, bumper and door replaced when it was new, December of '07 as a matter of fact. It was Satin White Pearl, and the bumper matched perfect. So they can give you all the stories they want about plastic painting differently, which it does. But the fact is, it should match (at least a heck of a lot better than what you have).

I would also probably start with the Insurance company and see how they want to handle it. I'd try to go somewhere else too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
31 Participants
DavidPeab
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing