Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've put down a deposit on a Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium AWD (. . . .subaru.com.au/outback/specs) with the "tow bar." . . . subaru.com.au/outback/accessories)

The spec. sheet says that "With trailer brakes (max) (kg) = 1,500 kg."

We've been advised that shipment is ready, but that optionally we can purchase a "Redarc Electronic Brake Controller" for an additional $895. (This extras sheet was never mentioned in four months of visits the to the dealer before. Hmmmph!)

MY QUESTION
Doesn't the purchased tow bar include the necessary electronics for trailer brakes?

I'm new to this. I kind of assumed that if I was spending $$$ on a tow bar that it would include the electronics for trailer brakes. Or am I just naive?

Pick up is soon, so any advice welcome on whether it is a good idea to spring for this, get alternative after market brake controllers, or do nothing.

The proposed towing is "none to light." It's a precaution against being at the hardware store and maybe bringing home a cupboard or wood or something in a trailer a few times a year. Definitely not proposing towing a caravan or boat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
379 Posts
No, Subaru does not offer trailer brakes on any of the models. On the Ascent they offer a 7way plug for breaks but it still needs a plug n play controller installed. I got the hitch and it only has the 4way plug on it which is just lights. I plan on adding a controller and a 7way plug soon. I am looking at this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Redarc/331-EBRH-ACCV2.html

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
We've put down a deposit on a Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium AWD (. . . .subaru.com.au/outback/specs) with the "tow bar." . . . subaru.com.au/outback/accessories)

The spec. sheet says that "With trailer brakes (max) (kg) = 1,500 kg."

We've been advised that shipment is ready, but that optionally we can purchase a "Redarc Electronic Brake Controller" for an additional $895. (This extras sheet was never mentioned in four months of visits the to the dealer before. Hmmmph!)

MY QUESTION
Doesn't the purchased tow bar include the necessary electronics for trailer brakes?

I'm new to this. I kind of assumed that if I was spending $$$ on a tow bar that it would include the electronics for trailer brakes. Or am I just naive?

Pick up is soon, so any advice welcome on whether it is a good idea to spring for this, get alternative after market brake controllers, or do nothing.

The proposed towing is "none to light." It's a precaution against being at the hardware store and maybe bringing home a cupboard or wood or something in a trailer a few times a year. Definitely not proposing towing a caravan or boat.

Thanks.
Most of the trailers you'd tow with an OB aren't going to have brakes anyway. But no, tow packages on almost anything don't include trailer brakes. Even on most pickup's it additional.
For Example on the F150 there is a tow package, then the MAX tow package which includes a trailer brake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts