Subaru Outback Forums banner

Dog just wants to go for a ride and I want a clean car

3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  I call her Sheila 
#1 ·
I recently attempted to use my rear bench seat protector that I had used in the past on my Tahoe. The back fits just fine but the bottom does not fit around the bottom of the rear seats and is not usable in the Outback. Result - Paw prints all over the back seats, but we had fun.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear seat cover or cargo area seperator? I have a 80# Chessie who I like to take to dog parks and swimming. I would like something I can remove over and over that is durable. Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 ·
Leather or cloth seats? I always load my dog in the back and before I am far down the road she stumbles over the seatback onto the rear seats. I have a blanket strapped over the cargo area so that sort of functions as her paw cleaning doormat before she gets on a seat.

#4 ·
11yrs with a Legacy "Leather seats" and a Dog. Now going on 3yrs with the Outback and dog.

Simple solution - Never put the dog on the rear seat - they stay behind the the back seat!

Another tip though not so easy to fix once you have the dog.
SHORT HAIR! And NO a lab is not Short hair!

Talking Boxer, Doberman, Germain Short hair pointer, Rat Terrier, Gray Hound short hair. Where you simply wipe them off with a towel and they are clean and dry. Since going to short hair breed - I will never EVER own a long haired dog again.

#5 ·
The first thing I did when the new Outback arrived home was fold down the rear seats and install the rear seat protectors. The secong thing was lay out the "dog blanket". As soon as that blanket was in place my two labs were in that car and we took a ride.

#6 ·
I bought a seat cover at pet smart that covers the entire back seat with openings for seat belts so we can attach her harness. For longer trips we have a collapsible pet crate that we strap down in the back. Both work very well and keep our pooch safe. They also match the interior.

#7 ·
Look at these liners: Canvasback Custom Cargo Liners Home Page Don't forget to get the zippers for the floor so you can access the wheel well w/o having to undo velcro. Washable and easily hoovered.:) Covers the back of the seats also.

The OEM barrier is great but spendy. First install is about 30 minutes because of crappy instructions. After that you can get it in and out in about 5 minutes.

I own and recommend both.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have leather seats and did purchase the Subaru seat back protectors and cargo liner. They do not offer any protection to the top part of the seats / head rests when the seats are down. Maybe with an old blanket I can fill the gap.

I'm going to try and take her for a ride with the seats down to see if she stays put or if she will roam the whole back area the entire time. I actually didn't even think to do this before. :eek: When I had the Tahoe, there would be no way for her to get in the truck with the seats folded down. I guess it does take some time to get used to a new ride and how it fits into your lifestyle.

I like the fit of the canine covers but may have more of a budget for the PetSmart covers. Looks like I have a few test to conduct.

#14 ·
CargoLiner.com offers Ultimate Pet Liner, Cargo Liner SUV Cargo Liners, Husky Cargo Liners, Weathertech cargo liners, cargo mats, Surco, interior vehicle and pet car protection, roof racks accessories and much more

customized liner that covers every square inch of the cargo area plus seat backs. not cheap, but good quality and durable vinyl material - will last the life of the vehicle. have used these for the last 15 years on Explorer, X5 and Outback. we use the OB to haul dogs, plants, mulch bags - you name it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.