Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dogleg in the left rear door of my 01 is rusted through. I had the dogleg cut out of a legacy at a wreckers and will use that as a donor piece for my car. Before I bring the car to the welder, I will remove any of the plactic trim that could be damaged during welding. Just to be sure, I understand that the rocker panel moulding is held in with 5 clips and one screw at each end. Is the plastic trim piece in front of the rear wheel held in with clips? I will probably need to remove the plastic trim on the inside near the seat, I assume that is held in with clips as well. I can just raise the seat bottom, so that wont be a problem. I will take a few before and after pics.

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few pics of the partially completed project. I had the rust cut out, luckily it wasn't as bad as I expected. Once the patch was welded in, I ground down the seams and temporarily sprayed it with Rustoleum rust paint, mainly because that's all I had in the garage. Sometime during the winter I will strip it down, apply a bit of bondo to smooth the seems, and repaint with the proper Subaru colour, or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I noticed some bubbling paint in the same area on both sides of my Outback, luckily its just some very minor surface rust. This may be a common issue on 2nd gen Outbacks, although mine doesn't have any of the famous quarter panel rust....

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine looked like minor surface rust as well. Unfortunately, it rusted from the inside out so by the time any rust was visible, it was too late. If you think it is just surface rust, then get it down to bare metal, treat and paint it before it gets worse. So far, this is the only rusty body part that I have found. My front bumper rebar was also rusted badly, but I replaced that a few months ago.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I stripped those areas down to bare metal and treated them with some rust converter and rust bullet paint, I still need to paint it with the proper colour though.

My front bumper rebar was also rusty, I stripped that down as well and did the same procedure, as with the dog leg area, except I also covered it in several coats of Rustoleom rust paint and a coat of bedliner and then sprayed wd-40 all-over the inside.

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's hope that our Canadian winters and road salt don't cause us anymore rust problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So that trim piece that sits in front of the rear wheel, it was just clipped on? I need to remove mine to see what i'm getting in to with my own rust repair, but don't want to break it.

·
Registered
'03 Legacy GT sedan
4 Posts
Just starting on the GT

Ya, I noticed a small rusty seam on the drivers side only while cleaning the jams on my Mom's '03 GT sedan. How you guys recommend proceeding before it gets like above pics?

Attachments

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
856 Posts
Cut out and replace with known good piece.

It rusts from the inside out.

Reactions: mrbrefast

·
Registered
'03 Legacy GT sedan
4 Posts
How do I get to the other side of that section to see how much material I will need?

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon, 2.5L.
194 Posts
Cut out and replace with known good piece.

It rusts from the inside out.
Is there a known way to prevent it from rusting from within? Or is that unreachable until you cut out the rot (and then with access to the innards, just rustproof the **** out of everything you can reach)? :grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts