Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 OB 2.5 - Left my dogs (who never pulled this before) in the car for all of 4 minutes and come back to find my passenger side and center belts chewed on pretty good.

Called the dealership and they wanted $200+ for each belt.

Can anybody point me towards a good replacement options?

·
Registered
79 Posts
They are expensive as they are specialized safety items. One thing you could try is to buy some from a junk yard in which a late model Subaru has been involved in an accident and is scrap/parts car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are expensive as they are specialized safety items. One thing you could try is to buy some from a junk yard in which a late model Subaru has been involved in an accident and is scrap/parts car.
Good call - may have a weekend trip to the scrap yard in my future.

Is there anything technical I should know about pulling them out or is it a bolt on affair?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good call - may have a weekend trip to the scrap yard in my future.

Is there anything technical I should know about pulling them out or is it a bolt on affair?
Not sure to be honest, never worked on seatbelts. I imagine its bolt on into the seatbelt holder/retractor in the B-pillar. Maybe someone else with experience could chime in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a friend whose dog chewed up all the belts in a Legazy wagon. His wife sewed them back together. I guarantee that would not have held up to real accident!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just watch getting seat belts from a wrecked car. "They" say that seat belts are one time use since at the time of an accident they can stretch. You may do more research on that topic prior to buying used ones.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Funny you mention it.... on my last outback, the driver's seatbelt was very frayed. I had a random dealer check it out, and they said they would replace it for free.

I was pretty surprised. The service manager said, "It's a safety item. Subaru wants all their cars to have good seatbelts regardless of age or warranty status. We just have to do a quick inspection to make sure it wasn't the result of a dog- that's where they draw the line."

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Not sure to be honest, never worked on seatbelts. I imagine its bolt on into the seatbelt holder/retractor in the B-pillar. Maybe someone else with experience could chime in.
Seatbelt bolts are specialized hard parts. It may take a Torx bit and a lot of twisting force to budge them.
Have the dogs sit on a blanket, carpet remnant or heavy duty seat cover next time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OP- have you looked at the OEM parts sites online?

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/oempartscat.html
This is the way to go. Better junkyards are also computerized these days, and can find parts they may not have on site, and buy it and have it shipped in. There are also junkyards that specialize in imports, etc. When my HVAC "climate control" unit went out in our '94 SAAB 9000, a new unit was $1300, and that was over 10 years ago, too. The dealer gave me some numbers, and when I called the second one, they had the unit out of a wreck for $150, and it was plug, play & drive.....lasted until we sold the car. As far as the seat belts being rendered unusable in a wreck, one would assume there are cars out there that have been junked for other reasons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We adopted a new dog who we fostered first... Chewed on the rear left and center belts in my 3.6R 2013. Not too hard to install. Easy to remove trim panels, pull up rear seat. Don't have to take down whole headliner to get to center rear attachments. If you break any of the upholstery plastic clips dont worry Napa carries replacements that match. If you go slow and have the parts, prob take about an hour to get the old out and new in Per belt. You will need a 10mm, 14mm wrenchs, screwdriver Phillips, and an upholstery tool is useful to pull the trim off. No unusual tools/wrenches needed.

PM me if you need any more specifics. Didn't take photos cause I did most in the dark...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We adopted a new dog who we fostered first... Chewed on the rear left and center belts in my 3.6R 2013. Not too hard to install. Easy to remove trim panels, pull up rear seat. Don't have to take down whole headliner to get to center rear attachments. If you break any of the upholstery plastic clips dont worry Napa carries replacements that match. If you go slow and have the parts, prob take about an hour to get the old out and new in Per belt. You will need a 10mm, 14mm wrenchs, screwdriver Phillips, and an upholstery tool is useful to pull the trim off. No unusual tools/wrenches needed.

PM me if you need any more specifics. Didn't take photos cause I did most in the dark...
Awesome - I've got all the tools (save an upholstery tool) and the parts on their way.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
2011 OB 2.5 - Left my dogs (who never pulled this before) in the car for all of 4 minutes and come back to find my passenger side and center belts chewed on pretty good.

Called the dealership and they wanted $200+ for each belt.

Can anybody point me towards a good replacement options?
...just a suggestion but how about a rear seat cover that covers the seat belts...or putting them in the back with a rear divider?

This is my back seat when the dogs are 'aboard. Everything is coverd, but I can still get at the belt buckles through openings held shut with velcro....ain't no dog munchin' in my back seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
LOL - no that would just give the mutt the last laugh ;-) Every time he had to move - dust or otherwise deal with the mutt. LOL
That's gotta be better than following them down the street with an inverted plastic bag on your right hand! LOL!

LoopGhost, I assume they were properly frightened when they were told about the possibility of a trip to the "animal stuffer"! :) :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well... Still cant understand how a dog gets to two belts while my wife is driving for under 10 mins, but that is a debate I will continue to keep inside my head- not safe for out loud discussion otherwise I might be utilizing the folding back option of those rear sears.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
coquioutback
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing