Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 1999 30th anniversary legacy outback limited someone grenaded the bottom end of a dohc ej25. I would really like to put in a jdm sohc 2.5 ej25 in it. Everything on top is good but my dohc block is not rebuildable. can I just pop the jdm sohc ej 25 in there using my intake and computer I have now? I'd appreciate any help I can get. I've got a new exeddy clutch flywheel kit and all the other goodies already. It is a 5 speed. Thank yall!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
Anything is possible. You can put a 327 V8 in there.

Here's what I found from www.car-part.com for a 2.5 DOHC.

Craig CO for $250, blown HG
Boulder CO $800
Des Moines IA $900 (153k miles)
Tampa FL $700
Aurora IL. $825
Shelby NC $350 (no oil pan)

There's more listed, these are examples.

Swapping in the SOHC, and I'd have to check to make sure later, you would need the intake cam gear from the DOHC bank 2 installed on the SOHC head. Maybe the crank gear needs swapped also. It comes down to the cam and crank sensor feedback differences.

@susiemk may have more insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Anything is possible. You can put a 327 V8 in there.

Here's what I found from www.car-part.com for a 2.5 DOHC.

Craig CO for $250, blown HG
Boulder CO $800
Des Moines IA $900 (153k miles)
Tampa FL $700
Aurora IL. $825
Shelby NC $350 (no oil pan)

There's more listed, these are examples.

Swapping in the SOHC, and I'd have to check to make sure later, you would need the intake cam gear from the DOHC bank 2 installed on the SOHC head. Maybe the crank gear needs swapped also. It comes down to the cam and crank sensor feedback differences.

@susiemk may have more insight.
Thank u so much for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And later on that 327 build sounds right up my ally. I guess if that will fit a ls1 would fit also? But right now the boxer h4 sounds good. My funds are only $900 now. That has to include shipping. I found a sohc ej25 local for 650. It's a jdm with 40k miles

·
Registered
63 Posts
Buddy, if you have a budget of 900 bucks on an engine swap... you need to not do this. Seriously, it expensive fast.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
681 Posts
Buddy, if you have a budget of 900 bucks on an engine swap... you need to not do this. Seriously, it expensive fast.
What he said ^.

Even a junkyard replacement will end up costing more then that.

How much can you DIY ? do you have a engine hoist ? do you have a decent set of tools, floor jacks, jack stands, etc. ?

How much do you have for coolant, oil and filters, do you need a clutch ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts