Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
white 2013 subaru outback 2.5i 6 speed manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question on servicing your own car? I've never not done my own oil changes and general maintenance, and would like to continue to service my Subaru. How do I record my oil changes and services so I don't have any warranty problems later.. ? Has anyone delt with Subaru regarding this or have heard anything.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
No, warranty cannot be affected -- by law! Keep records of what you bought and when you did any maintenance.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Keep receipts of materials. Enter your info into your mysubaru account.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT Built: 01/12, 2014 Forester CVT Limited
71 Posts
Besides any warranty work, I've done all my own maintenance. I buy the oil filters from my dealer, write down the mileage at the point of change on that reciept, any parts or fluids I buy are oem and I file all those reciepts away as records.

because I was able to resell the cargo rack and net $135 plus sell my $500 costco cash card I got with the car for actaul cash. All maintenance has been free so far.

Oh, I guess to a answer your concern, no, doing your work will affect warrenty as long as its within factory parameters. When you start chipping, modifying, f-ing around with stock components, thats when things get questionable.

·
Registered
white 2013 subaru outback 2.5i 6 speed manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys! All questions answered, I'll fire up a new excell spreadsheet and start a new file in the cabinet. I cringe at the thougHt of having to pay someone to do my oil and other basic tune up procedures. Has anyone ever had qwik valves? I love them. Replaces your oem drain plug with a super low profile ball valve that locks. It has a small barb fitting you stick a hose on flip the ball valve and drain your oil. I've had them on all my vehicles..

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Thanks for the replys! All questions answered, I'll fire up a new excell spreadsheet and start a new file in the cabinet. I cringe at the thougHt of having to pay someone to do my oil and other basic tune up procedures. Has anyone ever had qwik valves? I love them. Replaces your oem drain plug with a super low profile ball valve that locks. It has a small barb fitting you stick a hose on flip the ball valve and drain your oil. I've had them on all my vehicles..
Got the fumoto valve too on mine as do several members. Had it on my last three cars without a glitch, though I did read of someone on Nasioc or ClubWRX who clipped his off on a rock. Guess he needed a skid plate not a valve.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Had a fumoto for about 5 years now. Their supplied crush washer has started weeping a bit, but not enough for me to really care enough to replace it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
213 Posts
I heard you have to make sure to use genuine Subaru oil filters - to avoid any legal issues should there be the need for a claim. Also yes document the dates of oil changes on mysubaru.com and save receipts for the oil and Subaru filters.

Other than oil changes or tire rotations...I think it is best to take it to the dealer for the major service. Also because I heard the dealers are more likely to help you out with claims as long as you take it in for scheduled service at least for the major jobs. Otherwise I will NEVER take any car to get oil changes or tire rotations. Too many jerks that either under fill or over fill oil. Or spill oil all over the exhaust pipes making it smoke for days.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I heard you have to make sure to use genuine Subaru oil filters - to avoid any legal issues should there be the need for a claim.
Not technically true, I forget where but someone on here got a letter from SOA saying aftermarket is okay. One manufacture is now making a filter that is the same specs as OEM. (Wik?)

I still use only OEM Subaru Filters and will do so during the warranty period. The $20-$50 (life of the warranty) or so difference is silly not to.

Also yes document the dates of oil changes on mysubaru.com and save receipts for the oil and Subaru filters.
Everytime I do this it resets to blank. How do I enter my own info and get it to save to the website?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I list my oil change and anything else in the warranty booklet where there is space for it.
I will also keep a notebook or excel spreadsheet (overkill really).

No manufacturer can dictate that you use their filter.
The Magnuson – Moss Warranty Act was enacted to stop auto manufacturers from doing this.

I use Subaru OEM oil filters because they are very good filter and got a number of them on eBay for not much more than the parts stores...

·
Registered
15MY 2.5i w/ES
591 Posts
No matter what vehicle I've every owned, I've always done my own maintenance and I've never had any dealer, of any brand, question me when I had to take a vehicle in for warranty work.

Last week, I did have a Honda dealer try to jerk the wife around. She took the Odyssey in to have a TSB performed and they tried to sell her a coolant, power steering and brake fluid flush, stating they were all dirty. When she came back with their recommended maintenance list, I wanted to choke them. Who ever heard of a 1 year old vehicle, still under warranty, that needed those "maintenance" items done? Shoot, if they really were dirty, I'd be pushing to have them fix whatever that was wrong, that made the fluids dirty, and for them to do it all under warranty.

BTW, now I know why I've seen some dealers advertise they are women friendly... I've always heard women get the shaft from car dealers, but I never believed it... That is until now.

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
What they said + you can do all required maintenance including the 30,000 mile service. (You could get the dealer the change out the brake fluid @ 30,000 mile service - the cost is small)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts