1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 Outback 2.5i.

My main overhead dome light doesn't work at all whether on "door" or "on."

The rear hatch dome light works when I manually turn it on, but not on the door setting.

Any tips to get me pointed in the right direction for getting them working properly? I really don't know much about these kinds of electrical issues.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
does your dash warn you when the hatch is open? if not, could be the switch back there is bad.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Check fuses.

Also make sure that you don't have any broken wires in the tailgate boot. If they break or short out, all sorts of weird things happen.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb question: Have you tried replacing the bulb?
Not a dumb question. The main dome light came on for like 30 seconds while I was attempting to take the light cover off. It went off again and won't come back on.

does your dash warn you when the hatch is open? if not, could be the switch back there is bad.
I didn't know that! but yeah, the hatch indicator seems to be working fine.

Check fuses.

Also make sure that you don't have any broken wires in the tailgate boot. If they break or short out, all sorts of weird things happen.
Would fuses cause this kind of intermittent working? I'll definitely check those. When you say tailgate boot... do you mean in the hatch door itself?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Would fuses cause this kind of intermittent working? I'll definitely check those. When you say tailgate boot... do you mean in the hatch door itself?
When you open your tailgate, there are two rubber boots that connect from the tailgate to the body of the car. All the wires for the lights and such go through mainly the boot on the right side, with some of the ground wires and radio antenna wires through the left boot.

In the right side boot, there are multiple wires that are prone to wearing out and breaking from the opening and shutting of the tailgate. Pull the boot out of the hole and look at the wires. This is what I found on mine shortly after I bought it:

These wires breaking can cause all sorts of issues throughout the car, from locks not working to no headlights. The way the wiring for the dome lights work, it can certainly affect them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you open your tailgate, there are two rubber boots that connect from the tailgate to the body of the car. All the wires for the lights and such go through mainly the boot on the right side, with some of the ground wires and radio antenna wires through the left boot.

In the right side boot, there are multiple wires that are prone to wearing out and breaking from the opening and shutting of the tailgate. Pull the boot out of the hole and look at the wires. This is what I found on mine shortly after I bought it:

These wires breaking can cause all sorts of issues throughout the car, from locks not working to no headlights. The way the wiring for the dome lights work, it can certainly affect them as well.
Dang dude thank you for the detailed reply. I'll check that as soon as I can and see what it looks like.

So far all the headlights and dash lights are fine, just not the domes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts