Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. I’ve got the wireless charge in the dash, but even so, the wireless carplay unit wouldn’t charge the phone anyway, right? I leave my phone in my pocket anyway.
I’m actually just trying to justify SPENDING MONEY (😀)on a neat gadget, but still can’t figure out just why this would make things easier. It already automatically grabs my phone, what media I’ve been playing is rocking with Bluetooth, or jazzing..or folking...you get the idea. So other than maps, what plus?
Personally the factory bluetooth skips a lot for me - it sounds like a CD player on a dirt road :). Carplay has always been better audio, plus maps, and an overall better interface for things like calls, text messages, podcasts, etc.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thanks. I’ve got the wireless charge in the dash, but even so, the wireless carplay unit wouldn’t charge the phone anyway, right? I leave my phone in my pocket anyway.
I’m actually just trying to justify SPENDING MONEY ()on a neat gadget, but still can’t figure out just why this would make things easier. It already automatically grabs my phone, what media I’ve been playing is rocking with Bluetooth, or jazzing..or folking...you get the idea. So other than maps, what plus?
Turn on CarPlay on your phone and plug into you car and activate. Decide if you like CarPlay. If so consider this, if not don’t buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
9 Posts
I’m actually just trying to justify SPENDING MONEY (😀)on a neat gadget, but still can’t figure out just why this would make things easier. It already automatically grabs my phone, what media I’ve been playing is rocking with Bluetooth, or jazzing..or folking...you get the idea. So other than maps, what plus?
I originally got mine because I like not having keys off my hip (keyless entry) and now I can leave my phone in my pocket while listening to my music too. Going from Bluetooth audio to CarPlay audio really is night and day difference in terms of sound quality. Using the screen to play different playlists is nice and easy instead of Siri/google (she has gotten better but every once in a while she has a stroke.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To be clear he said he has a 2018 Outback. I think the others that reported here were 2020’s and the the firmware you are talking about is for the 2020/1’s
For reference, my Software Version on my 2018 Outback is Rel_A2.20.07.20
I don't mean your Outback, but your CarPlay dongle's firmware version. 2020.12.10.1057 is the latest.

You can download the firmware here. Drop the file onto an USB thumb drive (be sure to rename file to U2W_Update.img) and perform the update via USB. Several 2017/2018 Impreza and Crosstrek folks have had luck with 2020.12.10.1057. But as with any of this, do proceed at your own risk.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't mean your Outback, but your CarPlay dongle's firmware version. 2020.12.10.1057 is the latest.

You can download the firmware here. Drop the file onto an USB thumb drive (be sure to rename file to U2W_Update.img) and perform the update via USB. Several 2017/2018 Impreza and Crosstrek folks have had luck with 2020.12.10.1057. But as with any of this, do proceed at your own risk.

Good luck.
IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much. It has been a thorn in my side trying to figure this out, haha.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bought this one (Amazon.com: Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Volvo XC90 XC60 XC40 V90 2016-2020, Peugeot Chevrolet Honda Civic CR-V, Mazda CX-5 Artz 2017-2020, Hyundai, Convert Factory Wired CarPlay to Wireless)works great so far. I've had it for a couple of days and it has not given me any issues whatsoever. connects in about 20 seconds (faster than the previous) I tried the 1.0 version and it didn't connect quick enough for my tastes (among other issues like dropped signal) so I ended up returning it. Do NOT buy the one that looks like this one (Amazon.com: Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter Dongle for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 Q7 Q2 R8 Q5 MMI 2017-2019, Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay: GPS & Navigation). It says that it's the 2.0, but it's not. that's the original version. Also, don't worry about the versions for different cars; the website states that they are all the same.
I just bit the bullet and ordered. Interestingly when I searched on Amazon via the app (rather than using your link) I got 15% off! 10% for being an Amazon prime member and a 5% 'coupon' for a total of approx 115$! Should be here early next week.

·
Registered
708 Posts

Good luck.
Just curious, they recommend upgrading over wifi verses USB, why did you choose the USB method?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just curious, they recommend upgrading over wifi verses USB, why did you choose the USB method?

Only because the latest release isn’t yet available over-the-air.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Good luck.
does anyone know if this firmware should just work without issue for the carplay2air adapter as well? I’ve read that they are literally identical.

trying to get it to work in my partners 2018 Outback with no luck. It’s on the 2020.11.10 firmware. We tried changing it to compatible mode also dice

·
Registered
52 Posts
does anyone know if this firmware should just work without issue for the carplay2air adapter as well? I’ve read that they are literally identical.

trying to get it to work in my partners 2018 Outback with no luck. It’s on the 2020.11.10 firmware. We tried changing it to compatible mode also dice
They should work exactly the same.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I ordered on Saturday from Amazon and came with the morning mail. Plugged-in and worked immediately with my 2020 Outback Touring XT using the simple BT paring instructions included with the device. I then had the device check for updates, it found one, and after a couple of min it was upgraded. Seems to work just fine. Obviously I'll need to play with it more to see any limitations verses wired but the connect time is not an issue to me (it is not that fast when wired as it stands.)

After I set it up I went pack to the iPhone and customized the apps so that it looks like what it does with my wired settings. I'm surprised that on the iPhone you have to redo that with every 'car' you connect to and this device looks like a different car to the iPhone.

Oh, and this is a question I had, it does turn off/disconnect when you turn off the car. This would have been a deal breaker it it didn't.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I ordered on Saturday from Amazon and came with the morning mail. Plugged-in and worked immediately with my 2020 Outback Touring XT using the simple BT paring instructions included with the device. I then had the device check for updates, it found one, and after a couple of min it was upgraded. Seems to work just fine. Obviously I'll need to play with it more to see any limitations verses wired but the connect time is not an issue to me (it is not that fast when wired as it stands.)

After I set it up I went pack to the iPhone and customized the apps so that it looks like what it does with my wired settings. I'm surprised that on the iPhone you have to redo that with every 'car' you connect to and this device looks like a different car to the iPhone.

Oh, and this is a question I had, it does turn off/disconnect when you turn off the car. This would have been a deal breaker it it didn't.
Another good thing I noticed is that I was connected to cellular when it connected up so should work fine on the road. Even being connected to cellular I believe CarPlay still uses the phones wifi radio with wireless CarPlay even though the connection is established via bluetooth. This is all in the design of Wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the wireless party! :)

The dongle is a fully self contained CarPlay/Android Auto server and client. To the phone, it sees a new car, while the car sees a new phone. Essentially your phone now has two separate CarPlay profiles, one that is saved for wired and the other wireless.

This naturally occurs when the car powers off the accessories including the USB ports after engine off and door opens.

Another good thing I noticed is that I was connected to cellular when it connected up so should work fine on the road. Even being connected to cellular I believe CarPlay still uses the phones wifi radio with wireless CarPlay even though the connection is established via bluetooth. This is all in the design of Wireless CarPlay.
This is in compliance to Apple CarPlay specification. Bluetooth is used initially for device discovery and handshaking, after which communication is handed off to WiFi.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Introspective regarding those having bricked their dongle...

There are circumstances that could certainly lead to bricking. E.g. interruption during re-flashing, inadequate power supply, corrupt file, etc.

For others, it may have been something more divisive. Counterfeit Carlinkit/CPlay2Air/AutoKit dongles apparently exist out in the wild (generally sold at a deep discount). I don't know this first hand, but have read the developers at Carlinkit allegedly injected countermeasures in the more recent code, which will identify and brick those counterfeits. o_O

...very interesting. Truth or myth? You be the judge. IMHO, I'd steer clear of the ones that are less than say $100USD. More importantly buy from a reputable seller.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have a 3rd world issue that happens both with wired and wireless CarPlay that I’m wondering if others have or can help me with.

When CarPlay connects up after starting my car the screen on the car ends up on the main Subaru screen with the nine Subaru icons (and not the CarPlay screen.) However CarPlay is running, the CarPlay icon showing, music playing via CarPlay, and CarPlay street info/directions show on the drivers dash display.

So the obvious quick fix is that I press the CarPlay icon and all is well.

Do any of you also see this behavior? Is there a setting that I’m missing to fix this? Note that this almost always happens but not 100% of the time. Sometimes it does that right thing but not often.

I have a 2020 Touring XT.

(I’m thinking the intermittent behavior is related to driver recognition system and defaults that sometimes can’t identify me, or identifies via 1 of 2 profiles for myself randomly.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yup I've noticed the same thing. I simply haven't driven the car enough to form any trends, if any. For now, choking it down as the usual Subaru infotainment quirks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yup I've noticed the same thing. I simply haven't driven the car enough to form any trends, if any. For now, choking it down as the usual Subaru infotainment quirks.
Yep pandemic has totally changed my yearly mileage so it is hard to see trends.

I’ve put on < 6k in the 15 months I’ve had the car. That mileage isn’t even evenly spaced as I put in the first 4K in the first 4 months and only 2k in the next 11!

Had I know that I would not be driving much I likely would have delayed my purchase.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
20 Posts
I have a 3rd world issue that happens both with wired and wireless CarPlay that I’m wondering if others have or can help me with.

When CarPlay connects up after starting my car the screen on the car ends up on the main Subaru screen with the nine Subaru icons (and not the CarPlay screen.) However CarPlay is running, the CarPlay icon showing, music playing via CarPlay, and CarPlay street info/directions show on the drivers dash display.

So the obvious quick fix is that I press the CarPlay icon and all is well.

Do any of you also see this behavior? Is there a setting that I’m missing to fix this? Note that this almost always happens but not 100% of the time. Sometimes it does that right thing but not often.

I have a 2020 Touring XT.

(I’m thinking the intermittent behavior is related to driver recognition system and defaults that sometimes can’t identify me, or identifies via 1 of 2 profiles for myself randomly.)
Its annoying. I have the same setup and same 'issue'. Id love to be able to change it...along with turning off auto start/stop once and for all. ;)

61 - 80 of 97 Posts