Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback, engine EJ252AWAWL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2000 outback manual purchased Aug 2012 not running, got engine running, turned out to have blown con rod. Finally had enough money to buy donor engine from reputable wrecker. He noticed minor oil leak backside of head. Sent out and had head gaskets replaced by engine machanic. Engine was out of 2001 Legacy with automatic. Installed engine into car, plugged everything back together, engine would not fire up. Changed intake and wiring harness from original to donor engine. Engine still won't fire up, have no spark at plugs at all. I'm stumped any ideas what i'm missing?
Thanks Jon

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
I don't know if it applies in your case, but there are cases where one of the timing pickups was different year-to-year or manual-to-automatic.

Forget if it was on the crank or a camshaft.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
compare the crank sprockets to each other. make sure they are the same. do the same with the cam sprockets. the redesigned them at some point, i thought later, 02 maybe but check any way.

pull the timing cover and make check the timing. NOT the arrows, NEVER the arrows. the timing being off is the number one cause of a no start engine after major engine work.

the crank sprocket / sensor triggers spark. check to make sure it is connected. and the wiring for the coil on top of the intake. if you have the old engine swap in the other sensor.

cam is responsible for the fuel injection.

double check all of the connections, wires and hoses.

you are going be have a higher chance of success with the original (came with the car) intake manifold w/ harness and sensors. they worked on the car originally so they will again.

check the cam and crank sprockets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, changed crank sprocket and also the crank and cam position sensors for good measure from original engine. Engine fired up right away, idled for 10 to 15 min. went to move car back in garage and car won't idle now, like it starving for fuel. Have codes but will figure things out tomorrow. Just glad to get engine running. Thank Jon

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
I checked with my friend who ran into this, the sprocket looked the same but was keyed differently.

Did any of the parts look different?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes both sprockets looked different, auto one had what you would call a bunch of single teeth arrayed around outer edge of gear, manual gear had many teeth arrayed around edge of gear. Found reference to the different gears in FSM. Engine wire harness was also slightly different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts