Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or you might get shafted.

When I bought Cherry she just had a new complete driveshaft and a reman 5EAT put in at the lot. Shortline Subaru took this car in for a trade and funneled it to one of the private lots they work with...

Just Right Motors

Sure enough, it it new. It even had zerk fitting on the U-joints. Bonus right? Hmmm, no, not really. Zerks mean aftermarket. Not performance aftermarket, oem replacement. Well, I should have paid better attention to the quality of the thing.

I was with @LNGBRDNPWDR yesterday showing him how she can build boost and launch. How about build boost and LUNCH. (that shaft) These aftermarket shafts don't have the core strength of FUJI Heavy Industries. As you can see, I sheared the heads off the u-joint.

Attachments

Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
****. Now see if you didn't have a turbo that wouldn't happen. All that bad ass torque your making has to go somewhere

Just kidding

that's crazy.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, maybe brake torquing to 10 psi with the whole car shaking ... was a bit over zealous.

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
Fuji as opposed to Fugly.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you point at it and say; "YOU, are the weakest link!"
It was pretty weak, if you ask me. 9 months and about 12K miles.

I am about to go pull it out. It's over on the street in front of LNGBRDNPWDR place. The j-joint definitely sheared off and is no longer a cross. I found a salvage shaft for $125 and it has 102K miles on it. I also found out my build date...

October 29th, 2004

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still under warranty!? you could blow up another one!
Nah. This shaft came in the car new when I bought the car used. 30 day warranty. The salvage shaft has a 90 day. That's a whole buncha-launch-and-lunches.

I got it all swapped out. All is well. I will post pics of the POS and the damage later...lol. I gotta pick up my kid. Finished...just in time. Responsible Parenting? Right?

Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
i was joking. i throw away junk parts like that even if they're under warranty.

Responsible Parenting? Right?
I say "yes" if you didn't have to repair it on the side of the interstate.

if it makes you feel any better I let my 9 year steer an XT6 on our property yesterday, she got it stuck between two trees and I used the tractor to yank it out.

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
i was joking. i throw away junk parts like that even if they're under warranty.

if it makes you feel any better I let my 9 year steer an XT6 on our property yesterday, she got it stuck between two trees and I used the tractor to yank it out.

good parenting is flying the family to a hotter rust free climate for a vacation, plus to pick up a rust free H6 car sight unseen,
tossing plates on it, packing the family in it, and driving it back home.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
good parenting is flying the family to a hotter rust free climate for a vacation, plus to pick up a rust free H6 car sight unseen,
tossing plates on it and driving it back home.
Let it be known, additional vehicles were lined up for proper risk mitigation.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I tend to agree. Damage was definitely mitigated away form the kiddo.

Now that's good parenting.

So Cherry looks good even when up on blocks. (2) separate neighbor kids (dragging rally armor flaps) Stopped to tell me how awesome she looked and how they want to turbo their NA cars...lol

Definitely a cheap joint (Colorado , Right?) No worries tho, Cherry is back up.
The center tunnel heat shield took some serious rash and the mid-pipe took some dents.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts