Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

When I don't use my 2011 Outback for a couple weeks during the winter, I find it very hard to open the rear hatchback because the gasket seems to stick. The side doors suffer from the same problem, but there the handle gives a good grip and I can yank it open easily enough. The sticking doesn't appear to be coming from frozen water. Googling around I find people recommending spraying door gaskets in cars with silicone spray. Any experience here for Subarus? I have spray on silicone lubricant, I have thick silicone grease that we use for o-ring insertion in vacuum and high pressure systems....I just want to use something that doesn't damage the gasket, i.e. leach out the plasticizers, breakdown the rubber etc. Anyone know the right stuff to use?

Christopher

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
I know that Honda makes a special grease for the door seals that's available from dealers or on-line. I use that on all my vehicles and it works great. A little goes a long way; the seals don't need to be smeared thickly with it. That's good, because it retails for $17 for a small tube. Shin-Etsu Grease.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,656 Posts
I know that Honda makes a special grease for the door seals that's available from dealers or on-line. I use that on all my vehicles and it works great. A little goes a long way; the seals don't need to be smeared thickly with it. That's good, because it retails for $17 for a small tube. Shin-Etsu Grease.
...exaclty right. Some things that you would put on the seals to keep them supple will also degrade them and cause them to chemically degrade and fall apart...so make sure you do get the right stuff. :29:

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Gummi Pflege should work well in dry or semi-dry climates as well as cold climates.
However, in FL, with almost constant high humidity, I never had to use anything on my door seals...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I ordered some of that Shin-Etsu grease from Amazon. Probably good to put some on the sun roof gasket as well.

Shin-etsu makes some amazing stuff. Their gasket grease is not cheap, it is true, but to put things in perspective, a few months ago we ordered some specialty fluorinated silicones for the lab from Shin-etsu at about $200 per tube....high performance stuff for our funny world of high pressure applications. Worked amazingly well compared to the competition.

christopher

1 - 7 of 7 Posts