Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. About 3 weeks ago I pulled into the parking lot at the store, when I went to get out the door chime sounded saying I had a door ajar. Strange, I closed the door and started the engine. Shut it off and it stopped. When I came out my dash had the parking brake light flashing. I engaged the parking brake and undid it. Light went out. But ever since. Every time I get out of the car the door ajar chime bings and I have noticed the steering wheel won't lock.

Anyone else have these issues? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. About 3 weeks ago I pulled into the parking lot at the store, when I went to get out the door chime sounded saying I had a door ajar. . . . But ever since. Every time I get out of the car the door ajar chime bings and I have noticed the steering wheel won't lock. . . .
Your symptoms are the same as the Key Reminder Chime warning that comes on if the driver door is opened when the key is still in the ignition switch. (Owners Manual page 3-5)

If the chime sounds when the key is out and you open the door, then the switch inside the ignition switch assembly that detects when the key is in might be defective.

Still under warranty, and symptom is repeatable every time? Take it back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
This is a new one. :confused:

The sensor for the door ajar is in the lock mechanism inside the door. If the microswitch is sticking in the open position, the body module thinks the door is open. This gives you the chiming and the alarm doesn't set. With SSM the data from the doors can be seen in the software and the issue may be identified fairly quick. I would suggest that if you are inside the warranty, contact your dealer and have them check it. In the meantime, next time it does it, give the door a good firm shut, not a hard slamming shut, but enough to give it a good vibration on the actuator in the door and see what happens.

In thinking about the brake light though, I would be inclined to suggest you also check your battery and cabling. Make sure they are good, cables clean and tight and check the smaller ground cables that attach to the body of the car near the battery. (Note: Don't disconnect any cable without a memory saver plugged in.) Or, the brake light was just an incident where the brake lever was not all the way released.

Let us know. We're curious folk. :nerd:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not seen anything about this before for the Outback. But online i seen several posts for several different makes/models. One being the Forester. But no one had a conclusion as to the issue.

Dispite closing the door gently, slow, slamming and at normal cadence it doesn't help. Neither does locking the door or unlocking the door.

I have only once touched the parking brake, the day all this started. I was parked on a flat parking lot. But, i took your advice and looked at the cables. Nothing was loose.

And I still can't tell why the steering wheel won't lock, when the door ajar is chiming.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
Do the headlights stay on with the key withdrawn? Since you note the lack of steering lock, it's almost certainly a problem in the ignition lock mechanism, not the door.

My wife's '03 Civic does this most of the time. After the key is withdrawn, the key reminder dings when the driver's door is open and the wheel isn't locked. In that car, if you turn the key to LOCK in a certain way and hold your mouth just right, you can hear a slight "clunk" in the steering column, the wheel is locked and the reminder is silenced. She doesn't care but it drives me nuts; I hate spurious alarms. I tried lubricating the lock, but no joy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the headlights stay on with the key withdrawn? Since you note the lack of steering lock, it's almost certainly a problem in the ignition lock mechanism, not the door.

My wife's '03 Civic does this most of the time. After the key is withdrawn, the key reminder dings when the driver's door is open and the wheel isn't locked. In that car, if you turn the key to LOCK in a certain way and hold your mouth just right, you can hear a slight "clunk" in the steering column, the wheel is locked and the reminder is silenced. She doesn't care but it drives me nuts; I hate spurious alarms. I tried lubricating the lock, but no joy.

I can yank on the steering wheel in both directions, it still wont lock. I can walk away, locj the doors and come back with the same issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. About 3 weeks ago I pulled into the parking lot at the store, when I went to get out the door chime sounded saying I had a door ajar. Strange, I closed the door and started the engine. Shut it off and it stopped. When I came out my dash had the parking brake light flashing. I engaged the parking brake and undid it. Light went out. But ever since. Every time I get out of the car the door ajar chime bings and I have noticed the steering wheel won't lock.

My 2016 Outback limited is doing the same thing. Not all the time, but occasionally I notice that I don't hear the little buzz of the steering wheel lock engaging , and then it chimes when I open the door.
I"ll have to bring it up to the dealer next time it's in for service. I'm out of warranty, though, so I'll probably opt to pass on a repair.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
172 Posts

Does your Limited have a Smart Key?
People are posting about taking the key out which you wouldn't have with a smart key fob

Also have you opened and closed the hatch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts