Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel like my 2013 Ob is a ding magnet. The door skins on our cars a pretty thin. Had a co-worker open his door into my rear passenger door and let a 1/4 ding. No paint damage and no crease just a ding. My question is have any of you ever had a body shop pull the dent out without painting it too? Just wondered how god this would work?

·
Registered
2002 OBW LL Bean
54 Posts
dent repair without paint

I've seen people fix dents without paint where it worked very well as long as there isn't a crease. Like most things it depends on the experience/quality of the person doing the repair.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Look up painless dent repair companies in your area. Those guys specialize in that type of work. Our car club would invite them out to our big annual meeting, and they would work all day in the parking lot (half price, cash only). There would always be an audience. It was fun to watch them work their magic.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Mcbrew is right ... or, just leave it "as is" so that you get that "rugged" look - there will be more! Once you get it fixed by paintless dent repair shop - you will get another "ding" - Murphy's Law! LOL

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

The final manufacturing step at the factory should be a guy with a sledge
hammer installing an OEM door ding as the car rolls off the assembly line.

...Murphy was an optimist,

Looby

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Make sure you have that careless co-worker pay for the dent repair.
Also consider parking your OB in deserted areas of the lot.
I'm dingless so far..maybe I'm dingy too.

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just leave it "as is" so that you get that "rugged" look - there will be more! Once you get it fixed by paintless dent repair shop - you will get another "ding" - Murphy's Law! LOL
This is sooooo true :eek:

Wise beyond your years

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I gave up on door dings and small dents years and years ago. If we ever buy a fancy fun car that spends its life in the garage or doing fun trips to Napa etc - then I might spring for a dent fix - but our every day cars interiors are kept working and any broken stuff fixed - mechanical is kept up. The Exterior is what it is at the mercy of the world and abuse.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
The dimples on a golf ball help with flight characteristics, could door dings help with fuel mileage?

PDR is a good option, I've never used them as I've been VERY lucky in that regard (or I just park carefully).

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
628 Posts
The final manufacturing step at the factory should be a guy with a sledge
hammer installing an OEM door ding as the car rolls off the assembly line.

...Murphy was an optimist,

Looby
That is the funniest thing i've seen on this board in a while.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I gave up on door dings and small dents years and years ago. If we ever buy a fancy fun car that spends its life in the garage or doing fun trips to Napa etc - then I might spring for a dent fix - but our every day cars interiors are kept working and any broken stuff fixed - mechanical is kept up. The Exterior is what it is at the mercy of the world and abuse.
Yeah... those "fun trips" Napa may cause additional dings after that tasting that is no longer free....although I still remember days, when they were free (in late 60's)...LOL

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT/2019 Outback when I have to
208 Posts
Your clumsy co worker should pay for what ever repair is needed.

Feel like my 2013 Ob is a ding magnet. The door skins on our cars a pretty thin. Had a co-worker open his door into my rear passenger door and let a 1/4 ding. No paint damage and no crease just a ding. My question is have any of you ever had a body shop pull the dent out without painting it too? Just wondered how god this would work?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, silver, 2.5 w/manual tranny
418 Posts
My 2012 has dings all over already; door, hood, and a real especially dear to my heart imprint of a Dodge Nitro in my back bumper and hatch!! :28:
I don't worry much what it looks like, it gets used pretty hard. Doesn't help it's got the thinnest body panels of any car I ever had. If you lean against the front fenders too hard you'll cave them in....don't ask how I know this....

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
As advised already - find a good pdr shop - in most cases, they can make it look like it never happened. Door dings are almost inevitable - folks just don't care about other peoples things nowadays. You might want to wait until the ding has some friends before bringing it in - the cost per ding will be lower (lots of times they charge by the panel)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
What can one expect to pay for minor ding removal with out any crease?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts