Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2013 Outback was parked and locked. Someone opened the doors and stole items.
Anyone else experience this?
Obviously the theives gain access by electronically opening the doors. There was no sign of forced entrance.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I find it surprising to hear of an unauthorized entry of a locked vehicle via a cloned remote.
I suppose it's possible but me thinks dealer and SOA files would have to be accessed to make a remote to open your car. Then the thief would have to know where the car is to use the remote.
Are both of your remotes in known locations? Did anyone have access to them without your knowledge? Is the remote left in a gym locker or desk at work??
What was stolen and where was the car? Time of day the theft happened?
Was the car in for service recently? Dishonest shop could have rigged up something.
Is it possible the theft occurred before you noticed it?
Sorry, just thinking like a cop.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Sorry, but the basic question is "Was the car actually locked"? I ask because sometimes, the "unlock" feature is accidentally triggered when placing the key in the pocket or purse - happened to me a couple of times. The thief may have been good enough to lock it after the event so that it looked "odd" to you after the fact.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
I find it surprising to hear of an unauthorized entry of a locked vehicle via a cloned remote.
You've apparently not heard about BMW's being taken in 3 minutes or less. :)

Since 2006, BMW's have been equipped with software on their on board computers to reprogram blank keys. The hackers/theives found out about it and have been having a field day(s).

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

What the chance of a snooping device capturing the remote signal?

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
What the chance of a snooping device capturing the remote signal?

I'd like to know what was stolen. Most crimes are either random smash-and -grab or planned. (as in, they saw something inside worth taking, the car was unlocked etc. or there was something specific they were after and premeditated the theft.) A code scanner or keyless hack seems awfully sophisticated for a random car break-in. (and not taking the whole car) If they just went through the glove box or grabbed a cell phone, I'm betting it was accidentally left unlocked/unsecured.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
capturing the signal isn't that hard. Guessing the next code in the sequence is a lil harder. making sure the signal you captured is the car you think it was? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium / 2006 Forester premium
128 Posts
Probably a good idea to NOT get one of the NFC based keyless entry systems. NFC chips, such as the one in your passport, smartphone or CC can be sniffed out by certain apps or devices. This can only be done in close proximity, but it's still possible, and once the data packet is emitted from the NFC chip, it's recorded..like an awesome 90's mix-tape. Unfortunately, this recording can open your car door.

Theoretical rant, but you never know right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car was parked at the Oxford Suites hotel in Redding CA.
Yes, it was locked pror to leaving the vehicle unattended for the evening.
Items stolen included a pair of percsription sunglasses from the eye glass holder above the dash and a coin purse from the consol box which included drivers license and about 20 bucks.
Items left in the rear of the car included a load of recently purchased items from Costco and a nice leather jacket.
To me it seems as though someone triggered the door locks and grabbed the first things they came upon and ran as they were in a hurry.
Low life thieving sons of bitches.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Indeed, thieves should lose a major body part everytime they are caught and convicted. First the left hand, then the right, then the feet, then the.. .well :17: and finally the head.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It should be noted that the Outback was used as a demonstration at those hacking demonstrations a while back. They had to flood the connections though from what I read. Just Google it.

That's not to say they've distributed the code and what not but it can be done. It just doesn't sound like something a "normal" thief would use. The dealer isn't able to check the times when the remote was used at all?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
With all due respect to the OP and the rest of you, it's more likely the car was left open or they used a slimjim.

snopes.com: Code Grabbers and Remote Keyless Entry

It's technically possible to get in this way but it simply takes too long on new models. Most cars now use even more enhanced security by requiring a frequency and a code which can't be picked up over air. The code is only available during programming. I do now wonder if Subaru's system utilized that technology.

However, if they want to get in they will find a way.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/br...ack-wireless-security-codes/story?id=17367442
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9623150/Lock-jammers-steal-cars-in-a-click.html
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/trans...ized-cars-are-easy-prey-for-high-tech-thieves

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
I locked my keys in my old car. Security guard was able to open the car within a minute or so leaving no damage whatsoever. So what's stopping thieves. Don't leave stuff in your car people!

All that is left in my car is about a dollar in quarters (in plain sight too), my manual, and some gum. Come steal it =P

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
How did security guard do it ?........................very strange...........or...............bad security system ?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
I locked my keys in my old car. Security guard was able to open the car within a minute or so leaving no damage whatsoever. So what's stopping thieves. Don't leave stuff in your car people!

All that is left in my car is about a dollar in quarters (in plain sight too), my manual, and some gum. Come steal it =P
I'm with you, I RARELY leave anything in the vehicle, and if I do it's hidden in the console or under the rear load floor. Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Or locked in the glovebox for me

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Since the OP is certain that the car was locked, I am betting slim jim was used. If done with any skill at all, it only takes a few seconds, and does no discernable damage. I also would suspect that yours was not the only car targeted.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R
857 Posts
I agree. Change purse is easy money and the thief probably didn't notice the sunglasses were prescription if it was evening.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts