Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Outback with manual transmission, because I want to flat tow (all 4 down) behind my motorhome. I need to leave the valet key in the steering column lock to make sure that the front wheels can turn.

I found out that it is not possible to lock the doors with the key fob if a key is in the ignition lock. I can lock the doors manually by pushing the buttons of each door.

However, I have no idea how to lock the rear hatch! Has anybody an idea how I can do this? Probably by pulling a fuse or some other method? I would appreciate any helpful answers.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Hrmmm. i would need to see a FSM to have a fix .... but.....

The way these sensors (key in iggy ie) work is that there is a switch built into the lock cylinder. This is a single wire lead, and quite obvious when you look at the switch.

I don't know what features your car has, and with a multiplexed body computer not sure.

If this car has a multi function fob (press a button down longer to unlock the hatch) there may be a seperate lead to the hatch lock, maybe that circuit can be interupted. In the same thought a switch can be installed to isolate the tailgate circuit from the rest of the locks and to lock it.

I would look on towing sites for motorhomes. Someone someplace will make a better mousetrap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrmmm. i would need to see a FSM to have a fix .... but.....

The way these sensors (key in iggy ie) work is that there is a switch built into the lock cylinder. This is a single wire lead, and quite obvious when you look at the switch.

I don't know what features your car has, and with a multiplexed body computer not sure.

If this car has a multi function fob (press a button down longer to unlock the hatch) there may be a seperate lead to the hatch lock, maybe that circuit can be interupted. In the same thought a switch can be installed to isolate the tailgate circuit from the rest of the locks and to lock it.

I would look on towing sites for motorhomes. Someone someplace will make a better mousetrap.
thanks for your ideas. The fob has an extra switch each for the doors (one push opens the driver door, two pushes open all doors, including the hatch), and a separate button for the hatch only.

I checked the motorhome sites already (the two big ones), and they don't know either. I will check with Subaru if they can give me some info.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
hrmmm

All the doors (and hatch) lock and unlock from the drivers door on the inside?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
im leaning towards seeing what would happen if you unplugged the switch at the lock cylinder as a test.

really we need to know if the 2013 body is multiplexed or not.

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
The lock actuator in the driver's door and in the rear hatch lock, each have their own wires from the keyless entry control function in the body integrated unit. This allows for only the driver's door, or only the rear hatch, to be unlocked. The other three side door actuators all are connected to another pair of lines to the module, so they always work together.

When locking using the remote (fob) or the master switch on the driver's door, all are locked at the same time.

There might be a simple way to achieve what you're looking for if you're able to get into the cargo area from inside. The rear gate latch mechanism has a manual control (lever) for unlocking the rear when the power door locks don't work. It's described in the Owners Manual. It's on page 9-19 of the 2011 Manual (don't have the 2013 one) -- see attached.

If the rear gate latch can be unlocked manually from inside, then perhaps it can be locked manually from inside as well. Then the rest of the doors can be locked manually using their individual buttons as described earlier.

Note: I'm not sure if this will work, or if there will be some override preventing the rear gate from being manually locked when the other doors aren't locked. But it might be worth a try.

Let us know . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
That actually makes life so much easier. A simple experiment can be done at the tailgate with manual latch. A little more investigation has to be done with the wire though. One wire going to the tailgate lock sends a signal only to unlock the mechanisim. One possability is that the mechanisim automatically relocks when the hatch is closed (try it). Usually there is a motor of some kind the reverses to lock and unlock, otherwise the tailgate could get out of synch with the rest of the doors.

Unlock the doors, open and close the hatch, does it automatically lock?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got an answer from Subaru customer service. Their solution is really simple. here ist is:
Before you set the key in the first position for "OFF," lock all of the doors. Then, just unlock your driver's door. So, when you turn the key to the correct position for towing it behind your motorhome, you need only to manually lock the driver's door with the button. The other doors are already locked, including the rear hatch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts