Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Outback LTD, 08 Forester, 05 WRX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Tried searching for this but no luck.

My door open light on my cluster is always showing one of my rear doors are open but it's not. I have no idea where I'd even start to fix this. I'd like to actually fix the problem and not just yank the fuse our light out of the cluster :29:

I just bought a 99 Outback from my buddy so I look forward to going to this forum for advice!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
The dome light switch for the door is either broken or has fallen out of it's hole in the door opening.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
dome light on as well??

does the indicator light go out when you push in the button on the door by hand?

one solution, assuming the ''switch / button'' is still mounted in the door jamb as it should be is to glue a nickle to the door where the button hits it. this issue is not unheard of and the nickle trick may work if the light goes off when pushed by hand.

if the light does not go out when pushed by hand, then you probably need a new switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys!

It looks like the door just isn't hitting the switch completely. After repeated "slammings" of the door, it just won't go off. I'll try the nickle trick since the door only needs a little added pressure to hit the sensor correctly.

Hopefully this'll fix it!

Thanks again guys! Now I don't have to unplug my battery every time I get out of my car!

·
Registered
'96 Outback EJ22E/5MT
74 Posts
Mine does this intermittently, so much so that I have to have the dome light permanently off.
I'm 90% sure the fault on mine is from the tailgate but Subaru over-complicated it enough back there to just make me say 'f*ck it' and leave it alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The nickel trick seemed to do the trick. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Rather than "nickel" solution, I had used a round velcro (or any self-stick round plastic/rubber pad) on that area (on my previous cars) and it always worked well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts