Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a 2005 2.5 Subaru Outback. Recently the back door has been hit and dented. I've found a replacement door, matching color and year but it has only come as a shell with none of the electronics, window, door handles etc. My plan is to transfer all the current electronics and window etc from the dented door into the shell of the new one. I'm however not 100% sure how I would go about doing this and how difficult this would be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,924 Posts
The connector for the door harness is behind the B pillar panel. So you'll remove the interior trim panel and unplug the harness and loosen the boot from the body so the harness end can be pulled out when you get to unbolting the door.

Take everything out of the door prior to removal. Panel, sash, speaker, window, motor and regulator. If you have to swap the door seal, the small clips that attach the seal to the door break easy if you use too much force.

Once it's emptied, unbolt the checker (that's the part that keeps the door from swinging too far open) then have a floor jack with a wood block under the door to support it and unbolt the hinges. You may want someone to help balance the door on the jack. Pull it away a little and work the harness out if the body.

Put the replacement in then reassemble all the door parts.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,598 Posts
To add to @cardoc's instructions...

Take pictures (lots of 'em!) before removing parts, and as you go! Look at the pictures briefly to be sure they are clear enough to show what you need to see; if they aren't good enough, try again before proceeding.

Be organized: keep bolts and screws related to a particular piece together with the piece, and keep washers on its screw. Sometimes a single part is held in by screws with slightly different lengths but the same threading - find a way to label those (e.g. use a sharpie to mark a code by the holes, stick the same-sized screws together with blue painter's tape and mark the tape the same code). A big ol' pile of undifferentiated fasteners can turn into a nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,842 Posts
Also, test all functions in the old door prior to any disassembly, so you now where you stand. Nothing is more frustrating than thinking you broke something and later realizing it didn't work to begin with:
  • lock solenoids from that door (lock and unlock)
  • lock solenoids from driver door (lock and unlock)
  • window controls from that door (up and down)
  • window controls from driver door (up and down)
  • open from inside and outside
  • latch (partial and full)

Should you find anything not working, now of course is the time to get the proper parts to have it ready to fix when you do the parts transfer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts