Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in December I brought our 2016 Outback in for some minor warranty work before I was over the mileage limitation. One of the problems was I noticed a small spot of rust developing on the inside of the door frame where the upper and lower halves of the door joins. At the time, it was a very minor spot, but I knew at the time it would develop into something worse. The service advisor photographed it and advised me Subaru Canada would get back to me. I touched base with him a few times over the next six months and he just kept saying "were still waiting."

So I notice as of late the rust has gotten much worse, in fact it's bubbling through on the other side where the black vinyl sticker is on the pillar. So I went back to Subaru today to complain about the problem worsening and nothing being done. I find out that service advisor suddenly quit, and that he seemingly did nothing with my claim at time. The Service Manager was very upset over this guy leaving without notice and leaving many problems behind (I wasn't the only customer this happened to).

So the service manager came and examined the car and agreed that the problem was bad. He photographed it and said he'd get back to me in a couple of weeks. I also pointed out the rear door is starting to bubble too. He suggested that since I am out of warranty now (15k kms over) it might not be a simple process to get approved. He also seemed to imply that Subaru may only cover part of the repair cost - that it was up to the zone rep to decide.

I believe though that this is perforation rust, and that it is likely rusted right through the pillar and should be covered 100% by Subaru. I am quite disappointed that this car is rusting this young, even though it's been garaged, and rustproofed by Krown (albeit, they probably can't do that section of the doors).

Has anyone else experienced this problem on a Subaru? Has anyone had to deal with a warranty rust repair? If the dealer comes back with either only a partial warranty coverage, I am thinking of escalating this to Subaru Canada because this is quite frankly unacceptable. This is perforation rust and it should be covered.

See the attached photos. Please share your thoughts or advice.

You can see the bubbling on the back door here too:

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's pretty crusty, I hope Subaru steps up and at least cleans it up for you. Its no secret that Subaru has one of the shorter corrosion warranties out there (in the USA) and their cars are also prone to corrosion. I hit that area with some rust preventative each fall during the annual treatment but its only a matter of time even for those that park our cars in a vat of canola.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some experience with body work and car restoration and I believe cleaning up this rust will result in some pin holes at minimum.

Take a look at this WRX that had similar rust. This is a bit worse than my car but it was rusted right through the pillar:

I'd appreciate any input from the Outback community especially some input on dealing with Subaru on this problem.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
264 Posts
That's pretty crusty, I hope Subaru steps up and at least cleans it up for you. Its no secret that Subaru has one of the shorter corrosion warranties out there (in the USA) and their cars are also prone to corrosion. I hit that area with some rust preventative each fall during the annual treatment but its only a matter of time even for those that park our cars in a vat of canola.
I found a couple of 'best' 'worst' lists on cars susceptible to rust. Subaru wasn't on the worst, however, they weren't on the best lists either. So they are somewhere in the middle about average. I'm guessing they have a poor rust warranty given these cars are very popular in snow regions.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
My Mom's Crosstrek has this. There was rust and a crack in the paint as shown in your first picture. She brought it back to Subaru, they had it for a few days and gave her a rental. Fast forward 6 months the rust is back so she's bringing it back to them.

When I picked up my 16' OB in March I immediately looked there for rust. No rust but the paint was cracked on the very same spot. I touched it up and used an oil spray on the area. I will take a picture this afternoon and post it up.

My thoughts are it is a weak point on the front doors. The paint breaks, moisture gets in and rusts the door. Prevent the cracking and you'll prevent the rust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW, I don't have any cracks in my doors. It looks like the rust started inside the pllar and is rusting through the seam sealer and the vinyl sticker on the front. I am highly disappointed and hope Subaru makes this right. Still no word from the dealer on this. I will update the thread when I hear from them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That looks pretty bad. What's the mileage on your car? Any bubbling on the other side yet?

I talked to the service manager last week. He said there are at least half a dozen other 2016 and one 2015 Outbacks that have reported the to him as well problem too. He says he's built some case to get warranty coverage since it seems to be a problem among many Outbacks that are just out of warranty. Plus the former employee that screwed up my claim was involved with several others. So he says I have to wait until he hears from the zone rep.

I hope Subaru steps up and fixes this properly. If they don't, this car will not be replaced by another Subaru when the time comes.

·
Registered
2016, Outback, 3.6, White
12 Posts
This happened to my 2016 3.6 white outback. Same exact thing. Went to dealer to discuss. I called Subaru of america myself and requested service. I had to call them to get any action.

Subaru of america eventually agreed to do repair on both front doors. my driver side door was replaced and the repair job was a joke. totally **** work on driver door, wind howled thru it, no barriers or door plugs, electrical routed thru a cover, that it just warped. Re-used trashed weather stripping and sagged and had broken mounting pins/tabs. The paint job was a bit weak and flakes on the edges. Not expecting it to last 5 years. I fixed everything myself after going back there 3 times to have them re-do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This happened to my 2016 3.6 white outback. Same exact thing. Went to dealer to discuss. I called Subaru of america myself and requested service. I had to call them to get any action.

Subaru of america eventually agreed to do repair on both front doors. my driver side door was replaced and the repair job was a joke. totally **** work on driver door, wind howled thru it, no barriers or door plugs, electrical routed thru a cover, that it just warped. Re-used trashed weather stripping and sagged and had broken mounting pins/tabs. The paint job was a bit weak and flakes on the edges. Not expecting it to last 5 years. I fixed everything myself after going back there 3 times to have them re-do it.
Wow, that's not sounding promising. My local Subaru dealer doesn't have a body shop, so it farms it out to a few local shops. One of the three is one I used many times in the past and they do good work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To update this thread, I finally have approval to get the car repaired. The whole experience has been pretty poor so far. Since the dealership doesn't have a body shop, I had to act as a middle man between he dealership and the body shop. They didn't get along well and this has made the process quite unnecessarily painful and difficult.

The one thing that bothers me is that the service manager at Subaru said that other cars are getting new doors, but mine is just getting repaired. Has anyone else here had this repair done and if so did they replace the door? The body shop wants me to push for a new door for the best repair.

This experience has really soured me on this car and Subaru. Does anyone know if there is someone at Subaru Canada I can talk to about this?.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Magnetite on Gray Leather, Package 24, Bone Stock for Now
119 Posts
The body shop likely wants you to get a new door because most body shops provide a lifetime warranty (to the original owner) on their work. I'm guessing they won't want to warranty a door that will likely rust again.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
754 Posts
I wish I had never seen this thread. Checked my 2015 OB and guess what - it is just starting to rust in this spot. You can barely see it but now that I know it's there it will drive me nuts. This is the only area I don't regularly check because I have never had a vehicle rust in this spot. And, of course, it is only on the driver's door so I will be exposed to it every time I drive. After 174k miles (as of this morning) I shouldn't be surprised to find some kind of rust but this is the only tiny spot anywhere on the body or even underneath. I will see how it looks after this winter - it may be the push I need to get a new car, given how much I hate rust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To update this thread further, the body shop was pushing to replace the entire doors as they believed this was the best way to fix the problem. After further discussion, the dealership said if they could prove there was perforation rust, they would approve door replacement. The body shop was able to shop that there are pinholes through the doors, so we are going to get a front and rear door replacement. I have been waiting on the new doors to come in so the body shop can replace them. This entire ordeal has being ongoing for over a year now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But on the positive side if it didn't take so long the rust might not have had enough time to make the pinholes obvious enough to get Subaru to replace the doors. ?
True enough, but without getting into all the details, to get to the stage of Subaru agreeing to replace the doors has been extremely painful as a customer. Much of it has been the dealership and bodyshop unable to communicate or work well together. Best case scenario, I would have rather the problem fixed before a door replacement was necessary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally after more than 1 year since I reported the problem our Outback has been repaired. It has two new doors and no more rust. The body shop did a good job painting the car. My only complaint is the new front door sounds kind of hollow when it closes for some reason.

We had to rent a car but the dealership refused to cover the costs. I am just glad this saga is over. The dealership told me they are seeing some 2017s with the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally after more than 1 year since I reported the problem our Outback has been repaired. It has two new doors and no more rust. The body shop did a good job painting the car. My only complaint is the new front door sounds kind of hollow when it closes for some reason.

We had to rent a car but the dealership refused to cover the costs. I am just glad this saga is over. The dealership told me they are seeing some 2017s with the same problem.
Hi @72fordgts was your Outback still under warranty for surface corrosion when you started this whole ordeal?

I ask because this is not just an Outback issue. I have a '17 Forester and just discovered rust in the same spots on the front doors and I am just out of surface corrosion warranty by 3 months!

There are similar posts about this issue for other Foresters and a WRX as well (check "2017 rust on front doors" in the subaruforester.org forums). This seems very much like a design or manufacturing defect to be happening so relatively soon after manufacture and so widely across Subaru models. I really wish Subaru would own up to this as I dread the inevitable run-around and delays that comes with dealing with the dealers and H.O. as you've experienced. Given that I am now out of warranty, I suspect it's even more of an up-mountain climb to get Subaru to do anything about this.

So disappointed.
😢

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I originally reported it before my 3/36 warranty expired. However, my case was somewhat unique because the service advisor that took my original report walked off the job and apparently all his documentation was lost. By the time the dealership sorted it out, I had gone past my surface rust warranty. In my case I also argued it was perforation rust, clealy rusting from the inside out. The body shop had to prove this, so I could get a door replacement. They had to grind the rust and show that there was rust through, which there was.

Good luck with your claim. I had a terrible experience and when I reached out to Subaru Canada afterwards they offered no help and not even an apology. By far the worst customer service I have ever experienced with any car company.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts