Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The door seals on my 2002 outback both whistle and let air through when going down the road at highway speeds. Is there anyway to recondition the seals so they stop letting air through? They are not torn and are correctly in place by appearances. I think they might be just compressed due to the age of the car. Is it possible to recondition them or do they need to be replaced to fix this issue?

Thanks

2002 Outback Manual 2.5

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,766 Posts
A couple of things I do that were either casually mentioned or not at all in that link:

1) If you have bits of black stuck to the windows where they meet the rubber seals, clean them thoroughly to remove all remains.

2) Condition all rubber seals where they meet glass, and around the bottom/sides of the door. Best product I have found is Shin-Etsu silicon grease. Popular product with the Honda crowd, and sold at Honda parts counters or internet. Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive An alternate that works reasonably well but for shorter duration is a product like Meguiar's Rubber/Vinyl Protector. This will make the rubber stick to the glass and move together as an assembly as the car flexes and air pressure moves the window. But it also allows the rubber to gently separate from the glass when you roll down the window or open the door. If you have black stuck to the glass, you are ripping the rubber apart - time for more conditioner!

3) Do the pinch thing on the front gusset. There was actually a TSB on this back mid last decade.

4) Push lightly on the rubber seals at various spots and see if you can find the general area where the seal has deformed permanently and is no longer pressing against the glass. Unfold the rubber seal gently and put a piece of folded paper in there to force it slightly wider. It takes some experimenting, but I have two spots 'cured' this way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts