Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dealing with "Download phonebook" issue.

Every time I connect my device, I have to manually select download phonebook enabled.. I am using android play all the time. But, I am curious to know if anyone figured out this problem. Thank you in advance..

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
11 Posts
Thought it was just me with this nagging problem. I think you mean Android Auto, yes? It doesn't happen at every connect but most of them. I've deleted the phone from the car and the car from the phone, relinked the two and it still persists.

I'm on Android 10, but it also happened on Android 9 (Pie). It didn't happen before the service update last summer. Phone is a OnePlus 6.

My work around is to wait a few moments after connect and startup to see if it wants permission to download the phone book. Usually doesn't take long and much easier (and safer) to deal with sitting in the driveway. I usually connect USB then start the car as it seems that AA prefers this.

Since AA uses the phonebook on the phone, I suspect this is only for Bluetooth only connections to the car (no USB and AA).

I've also noticed that if I put the car into reverse, activating the backup camera, before all the handshaking is completed between car and phone, the audio will get stuck on the navigation volume control or the phone volume control in the HU and you can't change it back to music audio control until you stop the car, open the driver's door, then restart.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
558 Posts
Don't ask me why, but when I had this problem I pressed "MESSAGES" on the dash. When it asked me if I wanted to set up messages I said yes and it all worked afterwards.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
11 Posts
Don't ask me why, but when I had this problem I pressed "MESSAGES" on the dash. When it asked me if I wanted to set up messages I said yes and it all worked afterwards.
hmm, I'll check that out. This is Messages on the Subaru HU software, correct, not AA?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jim, Thank you for sharing that thread. But, I think Subaru did not tested with major phone models. Mine is S10 plus. I still see Bluetooth phonebook and losing favorite contacts issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.. I figured out the problem.
My cousin added his phone under my driver profile. His device shows download phonebook enabled. My phonebook needs to download all the time manually. Once I removed his phone from my profile. My phone Bluetooth connection is stable and not loosing favorites.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
49 Posts
I have my 2020 Touring XT for 2 weeks now. Yesterday I was attempting to call “HOME” and it kept wanting to Navigate to “Home”. So I changed my definition of “Home” on my Android to “Myhouse” and the voice recognition still wanted to Navigate to “Home” Testing the voice recognition I asked it to call some other entry in my phonebook that had no relation to a Home/House and it worked. It appears that the software/firmware has some code in there that thinks Home/House is for navigation.
Next I tested by saying just “Call” and it asked me the number….no option for the person in the phonebook.

So:
1) Has anyone here experienced this phenomenon?

2) Is there some sort of dictionary for voice recognition that tends to interpret “Home” or “House” and assumes that it is for Navigation not for the Phone?

3) How do I get voice recognition to make a call to an entry in the phonebook in two parts? I.E. “CALL”………”Entry”.
I finally got around this by renaming “Home” in my Android to my housing development and it worked.

Now still on the phonebook subject. It appears that the phonebook from my Android is downloaded to the car and stays there, by default. I did notice the when I made changes in my Android, that the change did not update the cars unit at that time. I have since found the switch that says download my phonebook. I have not yet reset and tested it.

So now to the questions:
4) If I download my phonebook to the car, how do I get it to refresh the car, so changes will be in the cars unit?

5) If I set the switch to NOT download the phonebook, how will I make voice call?
Now a disclaimer: In anticipation for the arrival on the car I downloaded 5 PDFs from the SOA site. I have finished reading (oh my head) approx. 800 pages and now am on my way to the funny farm. So I did in fact do my due diligence.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
49 Posts
Just had a really really weird thing happen. The phone number that the car kept thinking was a nav (Home then Myhouse) command, that I renamed, just disappeared from my phone. Gone! What really blew my mind is that I have 2 contact lists and the entry was gone from both. :alien:
Not saying the cars nav did it, but it sure got my attention.
I may be getting tooooooo old for this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts