Subaru Outback Forums banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i 4EAT
63 Posts
Bump from the dead.

After reading the whole thread, I can attest that magnaflow mufflers give a great rumble. My 97 OBS had a custom 2.5" catback with a round magnaflow muffler as a resonator and an oval magnaflow muffler at the end. I used this both on the N/A 2.2l stock engine with stock cats and then on my turbo 2.35l stroker build on a catless exhaust. Both sounded great and was exactly what I was wanting to get at the time. The idle was crisp and all bass rumble but not crazy loud. But when you really got on it, especially with the turbo setup, it was quite loud.

N/a 2.2l-

Turbo 2.35l- revs:
Exterior flyby:

Now that I've sold the beast and am driving an 00' OBW, I'm looking to go UEL headers again and perhaps upgrade the exhaust. I don't want something as powerful as the magnaflows as I didn't like the constant droning on the highway.

So I'm wanting something that gets that clear bassy exhaust note that the magnaflows had but at half the volume. Basically, such that for highway cruising, I barely hear it. Cats will be kept intact, which clears up and deadens the sound for sure. But I'd love to bring out a bit of brumble, ya know?

Anyone know of a good muffler/resonator combo that would get me what I'm looking for? Most of what I see on here seems to be a little loud for my goals. I'm probably looking for a setup that many would upgrade from because it just wasn't enough.

·
Premium Member
Silver 2015 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6, fully loaded w/eyesight
8 Posts
I have a 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6. I've installed the Nameless cat back exhaust and have been very pleased. Sounds good. Also, installed a Takeda cold air intake. The throttle response is very noticeable and IMO a very nice upgrade. Noticed it immediately on the next long road trip I took.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
353 Posts
I have a 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6. I've installed the Nameless cat back exhaust and have been very pleased. Sounds good. Also, installed a Takeda cold air intake. The throttle response is very noticeable and IMO a very nice upgrade. Noticed it immediately on the next long road trip I took.
Got a video to hear what it sounds like? I'm looking to get my '17 3.6r Outback to unleash the boxer rumble.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
603 Posts
My Outback sounds like thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

161 - 166 of 166 Posts