Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
132 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
132 Posts
Now I'm nervous about changing the oil on my CPO 2018, still have a few months to go thankfully. Wonder if I should just hit it w/ the impact gun to start :unsure: I think the 2.5 oil pan is steel, right?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
37 Posts
I am coming up on my first oil change. Have been trying to decide if I should use my oil extractor or do it the 'right way' and remove the bolt like you tried.

Your problems have all but convinced me to suck it out instead of dealing with potential stripped bolts and crush washers.

There are some really good suggestions here. Especially the dremel tool. Take it off slowly and carefully. Take lots of time.

Lots of luck...

OR, just commit to sucking the oil until a 'guaranteed' solution comes along.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,383 Posts
My 20 cents (2 cents in 1950 dollars): Tap it in with a couple decent whacks with a hammer, then use curved jaw 10-12" Vise-Grips clamped as tight as humanly possible. Or just take it to a shop and let them do it for $20.

Reactions: bloomz and walker

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,603 Posts
I think there's a little bit of over-reaction here - 99.9% of drain plugs can be removed with a 6 point socket and enough torque. Haven't heard of a drain plug being so soft that the head twists completely off, but rounded heads are a problem. You can use an impact to remove a non-rounded drain plug if you want but don't use it to put the thing back on.

I suspect that @shuttrbg22's problem could be that as part of the CPO process they installed a new oil drain plug and used an impact on it despite it looking pristine. It might even have been cross-threaded. It's unlikely that they did oil change by sucking through the dipstick because time is money and sucking takes longer than draining.

The drain plug's metal could be soft to avoid damaging the threads in the drain pan itself.

If there's no reason to suspect that your oil drain plug was installed using an impact driver or cross-threaded, and your drain plug's head isn't rounded, then go ahead and remove it with a 6-point socket.

Don't be afraid to remove your drain plug just because of @shuttrbg22 's experience.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,891 Posts
Here’s an idea folks. When purchasing a new or used car from a subie dealer, have a fumoto valve with you that fits the car you are purchasing your car request that they drain the oil, put the fumoto on the car and refill it. That way you have the bases covered. When I tried to put one on our crosstrek they had put the plug in so tight I could not get it out. Local guys had to do it for me...go figure.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Premium Member
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,582 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,092 Posts
That thing is bad ass!
I love these things. Got them mainly for adjusting door operators on trailers. Then found out how awesome they are with bolts and such. Except I paid the mark up from snap on lol. Then I slid it out and saw the bahco stamping... at least I only bought the 1 set from snapon lol.

·
Registered
187 Posts
File the outer hex until a six point socket has a tight fit but can be tapped on with a hammer. Then, as SilverOnyx said, use an impact gun to shock it loose. If it rounds the hex off, drill it with a hole saw that has a pilot bit. A hole saw will cut off the flat sealing area and when it gets thin it unloads the sealing pressure. If it is cross threaded, drill out remaining center part and tap it. You can buy a new plug that has a magnet in the tip. good luck

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,893 Posts
Got a CPO 2019 outback. Went to do my first oil change and install a Fumoto valve. I saw something about the plug being easy to strip so I though I was careful. This was a factory plug and had clearly never been touched ( the dealer must have sucked the oil out ) I got a good grip and pulled with all my might and it started spinning (my wrench that is). Was this plug made of lead or pot metal? So I got some special sockets for removing stripped bolts, and these made it worse, tried vice grips and it got even worse. I'm embarrassed to share the photo.

So my plan is to remove the exhaust manifold and oil pan. I will have a replacement pan ready in case I need it. I have found zero videos or resources for doing this but it looks like it will be easy. I did an "oil change" by sucking the oil out with a DIY fluid extractor through the dipstick. Any thing I should be worried about trying this?

View attachment 510179

Nice job on the bolt.

Reactions: ragnar

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,153 Posts
If you have reasonable MIG skills weld a socket to the nut and then use an impact wrench to remove the bolt. The heat from welding helps break the seal and ensures no slipping of the socket as it is welded to the nut.

I had to do this on the Torx bolts on a 2004 Impreza EJ25 flywheel, works a treat!

Seagrass

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i, 6M
120 Posts
Here’s an idea folks. When purchasing a new or used car from a subie dealer, have a fumoto valve with you that fits the car you are purchasing your car request that they drain the oil, put the fumoto on the car and refill it. That way you have the bases covered. When I tried to put one on our crosstrek they had put the plug in so tight I could not get it out. Local guys had to do it for me...go figure.
Just hit the dealer for the first oil change and have them do the Fumoto then.

·
Registered
2020 Outback -Onyx XT -Magnetite grey
119 Posts
Stupid question.... are you trying to pull it while the engine is cool? I'm going to assume that your last oil change at the dealership was after running the car there. They changed the oil hot, then torqued it down to spec hot. Changing it cool would add to the friction lock after everything shrank.

My recommendation is to run the motor for a while. Heat everything up. Then grab your vice grips, and a set of gloves and try and break it loose. If that doesn't work, then hit the plug with a shot of office duster to cool the plug a bit and try it again. Barring that, I'd run it in to a shop/dealership and have them swap it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,304 Posts
I'm nervous about changing the oil on my CPO 2018, still have a few months to go thankfully. Wonder if I should just hit it w/ the impact gun to start?
Try getting it out the normal way first with a 6-point socket - not a 12-point, not a spanner, not a combination wrench, definitely not an adjustable wrench. If it's too tight (and you'll know this from the feel of it) only then try other techniques suggested here.

The key is not to round it off with a badly-fitting tool - that makes it that much harder to eventually get it off.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
132 Posts
Try getting it out the normal way first with a 6-point socket - not a 12-point, not a spanner, not a combination wrench, definitely not an adjustable wrench. If it's too tight (and you'll know this from the feel of it) only then try other techniques suggested here.

The key is not to round it off with a badly-fitting tool - that makes it that much harder to eventually get it off.
Thanks, I've been using a 6 point socket to date, will continue to do so!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,460 Posts
If you have room, a pipe wrench generally works well because they grasp the fastener more tightly as you increase torque.

Vice grips alone may not do it, but combined with a cheater pipe over the handles? I know you don't have much room under there but maybe enough... Also, I'm assuming we are talking about the curved-jaw model set around the outer shoulder flange instead of the former bolt head. You'd have way more leverage there if you can get the jaw to set on that thin edge.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Stupid question.... are you trying to pull it while the engine is cool? I'm going to assume that your last oil change at the dealership was after running the car there. They changed the oil hot, then torqued it down to spec hot. Changing it cool would add to the friction lock after everything shrank.

My recommendation is to run the motor for a while. Heat everything up. Then grab your vice grips, and a set of gloves and try and break it loose. If that doesn't work, then hit the plug with a shot of office duster to cool the plug a bit and try it again. Barring that, I'd run it in to a shop/dealership and have them swap it.
Another stupid question. Are you sure you are turning it counter clockwise? For it to be mangled like it has, it must be welded to the pan.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White, 2018 Crosstrek
382 Posts
Removing things like this is far easier when the car is on a lift. It looks like whatever tool was used slipped more than once.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts