Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Just take it to Walmart and leave it running in the parking lot.

Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
I wonder what the outcome has been for @shuttrbg22 ? Been a few days and some good ideas as well as some good speculation from us. I just re-read it and saw wrench: This is often not a good tool. I've always used my 17mm 6-point 1/2in drive socket and never had an issue though the first time it was quite snug, decided to use the breaker bar but after that time I properly torqued it and easily came off with the normal ratchet.
I finally decided to throw on my fumoto valve (I was skeptical on it, would I tighten it enough? What if.....) and I am happy with it so far (it has not leaked or come undone!), should make for a nice easy drain next time! It'll be so easy, could now do it half in the bag!

Registered
2019 3.6R Limited, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
Having a 3.6R, I have taken to using a pump for my oil changes. (Draining 7 quarts of oil into a catch pan that holds only 5 is very messy.) However, I always remove the last few quarts by removing the drain plug. I feel that will allow whatever is collecting on the bottom of the crankcase to drain. Well, now I have another reason to remove the drain plug on every oil change.

Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
I also had a heck of a time removing the drain plug on my new Outback. The factory must have put 75# of torque on the drain plug. I had to attach an extender to my box end wrench. I think you are right about the dealer is sucking the oil out of the top by the dip stick tube. It speeds up the LOF & he does not have to raise the vehicle up in the air. When I am changing my oil I like to inspect the under side of the vehicle.

Registered
I don鈥檛 have any additional solutions for removal - but I鈥檒l recount how my drain plug on a Fuso 4x4 FG became so tight I couldn鈥檛 remove it......

It was all my fault. I decided to drain the oil late in an afternoon when I was tired. Getting at the drain plug around the front drive shaft and differential requires being off to the side a bit so I wan鈥檛 well positioned and couldn鈥檛 get full leverage on the breaker bar so crawled out from under the truck, found a rubber mallet, crawled back under the truck, and tried taping on the breaker bar. Still no luck. The drain plug wasn鈥檛 loosening at all. That seemed strange because when I first started it seemed to give just a bit. That would have been the definitive clue for anyone with a clear brain, but not me, I kept at it until I鈥榙 stripped the socket in the plug. Finally had it removed by a shop a bit later. Turns out I鈥檇 been trying to remove the plug with the wrong rotation (can you believe this?) and was tightening it the whole time! Lying on my back, working over to the side a bit and my impression of counter clockwise wasn鈥檛!!!!

Just meant as an entertaining story - I doubt anyone else here could match my ineptitude of that evening.

Howard

Registered
Got a CPO 2019 outback. Went to do my first oil change and install a Fumoto valve. I saw something about the plug being easy to strip so I though I was careful. This was a factory plug and had clearly never been touched ( the dealer must have sucked the oil out ) I got a good grip and pulled with all my might and it started spinning (my wrench that is). Was this plug made of lead or pot metal? So I got some special sockets for removing stripped bolts, and these made it worse, tried vice grips and it got even worse. I'm embarrassed to share the photo.

So my plan is to remove the exhaust manifold and oil pan. I will have a replacement pan ready in case I need it. I have found zero videos or resources for doing this but it looks like it will be easy. I did an "oil change" by sucking the oil out with a DIY fluid extractor through the dipstick. Any thing I should be worried about trying this?

View attachment 510179
i would have taken it to the dealer where you bought it to show them and have them take it off and put on new one

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
2019, 38k miles. I can't sleep well knowing what i've done. I think I'm going for it.
is that a 2.5 or a 3.6 ?
how much oil did you suck out,...just wondering.

Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
Just a guess, but maybe the OP is waiting for the weekend to tackle this since the backup plan is pulling the oil pan.

Premium Member
2020 Onyx
If OP reads this please do not remove your oil pan. It's not that simple to take off and put back on. Let the dealer handle it. It will be trivial for them to remove the rounded drain plug and put a new one in and they won't remove the oil pan to do it.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts