Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New member here. Does anyone have any experience with the part number in the title?

Been researching hitches for my new to me 2014 Outback and I like the looks of this but don’t see much about it online. Any info would be helpful.

You can find the hitch on etrailer by searching part number 76227

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,368 Posts
Sorry, I have the 75673 installed. On Draw-tite's website, the two spec the same; Max Frame class III with 600/4000lb capacity.
I wonder what the difference is between the two?
Draw-Tite

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As best as I can tell, the part number i referenced bolts to the rear bumper mounting points similar to the factory job and the frame is tucked up under the bumper cover. The other part number mounts below the frame like many of the other options on the market. It seems like a newer option so I wasn't sure if anyone on the forum had any experience with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered it today from e-trailers. I'll keep you posted, I haven't decided if I'm going to install it or have it professionally installed yet.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,398 Posts
From the pictures in the installation manual, it seems pretty easy to install.

I got the other DrawTite (75673?) that bolts underneath.

It looks simple to put on - although you will have to cut away a section of the plastic bumper cover. The OEM hitch is the same way, except it includes some grommet material that you can put around the cut edge to dress it up.

Make sure you have a 14mm deep well socket (pretty sure it's 14mm, can't remember for sure). A torque wrench is recommended. A screwdriver is the only other tool you should need.

Remove the tail lights, remove the clips attaching the bumper cover to the body (a couple of those clips are hard to spot), gently pull off the bumper cover, unbolt the bumper, place the hitch over the bolts, bolt the bumper back on, cut the bumper cover and replace it, put the tail lights back on. Done.

What I can't remember - the rear tow eye-bolt threads into the bumper, through the access panel in the vinyl cover. I am not sure if it threads through that bumper or not. I don't know enough about the new hitch to know if it will interfere with using that eye-bolt.

edit: and don't forget to make sure to orient the foam with the eye-bolt opening where it is supposed to be. If you put it on the wrong way, you'll cover it up. If DrawTite had made this hitch when I was looking, I might seriously have gone this route.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered it today from e-trailers. I'll keep you posted, I haven't decided if I'm going to install it or have it professionally installed yet.
Please do. I’m planning on ordering something in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one on the way and will be installing it later this week. I will let you know how it goes and post some pictures.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
I have the Drawtite 75673. It came installed on my used 2015. Nice hitch but it is tucked under the bumper making it not so great for folding tray style bike racks. I understand that it "hides" the receiver, but I would rather have it more flush with the edge of the bumper like the one above.

(attached image is from the etrailer site)

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,398 Posts
I have the Drawtite 75673. It came installed on my used 2015. Nice hitch but it is tucked under the bumper making it not so great for folding tray style bike racks. I understand that it "hides" the receiver, but I would rather have it more flush with the edge of the bumper like the one above.

(attached image is from the etrailer site)

I have the 75673 on my '13.

That pictures looks like it has a rear bumper underguard installed and notches were cut out.

Here are some pictures of measurements I took on mine. I have the THule Vertex 2-bike folding rack installed for the photos:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/1899025-post18.html

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-vertex-2-_-1686829

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
I have the 75673 on my '13.

That pictures looks like it has a rear bumper underguard installed and notches were cut out.

Here are some pictures of measurements I took on mine. I have the THule Vertex 2-bike folding rack installed for the photos:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/1899025-post18.html

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-vertex-2-_-1686829
I have a Swagman XTC4 4-bike platform style carrier. The shank on the carrier isn't long enough to clear the bumper in the folded position. Other than that, it works fine. just cannot fold it up when not hauling bikes.

https://www.swagman.net/product/xtc4/

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,398 Posts
I have a Swagman XTC4 4-bike platform style carrier. The shank on the carrier isn't long enough to clear the bumper in the folded position. Other than that, it works fine. just cannot fold it up when not hauling bikes.

https://www.swagman.net/product/xtc4/

I see. My Thule is always vertical because the bikes hang from it, the arms fold straight down when not in use.

The tray styles fold up when not in use.

I think some people have had problems with the OEM hitches, too. Apparently the OEM hitches have the locking pin hole farther forward (away from the receiver) so any draw bars or accessories have to be pushed farther in before the pin can be inserted. The results in some bike racks being too close to the bumper.

edit:

You might be able to take a closer look at the hitch from underneath. I can't remember if there is any chance to loosen the four mounting bolts and then slide the hitch backwards a little bit. If so, that might give you the extra space you need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little searching found the 76227 at a lot cheaper price. Lets see if it's the real deal.

Carid.com -- listed for $152.66

1 - 16 of 16 Posts