Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sets of square thule roof rack bars. Has anyone thought of drilling through a set. Removing the factory bars and then bolting the square bars directly to the existing side rails using the factory hardware.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
521 Posts
Yes, but I custom cut some 2" aluminum square stock and mounted to the (removed) factory tie down points.

Only issue I had was my Thule cargo box would not fit on the 30" F/R spread. My Thule Circuit bike trays worked well. It's a very strong mount.

I've since purchased a Yakima system of Landing Pad 15, Skyline Towers and CoreBar 50" cross bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. After looking at your pics I realized I wouldn't be able to use the crossbar mounting locations and that I would have to use the tie down locations. I'm only using bike carriers so it will probably work for me. I just cant stand how high the aftermarket racks sit and they cost a fortune.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
521 Posts
I agree about the price and thought that the Yak system does sit high, but I really, really like the Landing Pad system where it's an unlock of the locking cylinders then a lever pull on 4 towers and the whole rack comes off in one piece. Installas in about 30 sec. as well. The pads then have aero covers so it all looks sleek. It's a slick system and was worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts