Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Outback Premium w/CVT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to do the 60K on our 3rd '05 Outback and see that the original Alt and A/C belts are made by Mitsuboshi. When I look up replacement belts it shows Bando is OEM. So does anyone know who makes belts for Subaru of America? Was it Mitsuboshi (7 years ago) and now Bando? You can only find the A/C belt from Mitsuboshi not the Alt belt.
And dont even get me started on the part number changes for this!! Subarupartsforyou.com is correct but if you start to read into the SOA p/n for the belts you find superceded galore and then shows for different vehicle.

I know this is probably totally a waste of time but us OCD people you know how we are!!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
I don't know about the factory belts but Gates is considered one of the best for aftermarket belts. You can get both belts for about $21 from RockAuto. I've never had a problem with Gates.

Sorry that I can't help you with the OEM brand.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,042 Posts
What he said ^^^
Gates is very good. Having replaced plenty of OEM with Gates belts, I have never had any issues.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I also have a Gates belt on my H6 and there are no issues so far. Bought it from the local parts store and that's what they stocked.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I heard Gates makes good belts as well and looking at their site I get the following belt sizes that pull up with Subaru part numbers so not sure which to get.

809218340 (original belt on car) = gates k050344 875mm
809218270 (what is suggested by SOA) = gates k050345 880mm

seems like a size difference that could be of issue. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,096 Posts
I'd go with gates or NAPA and not be concerned.

One thing though, didn't some folks have problems with a belt being a little too large and rubbing on the adjuster bolt?

watch for that I guess.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
Yes I heard Gates makes good belts as well and looking at their site I get the following belt sizes that pull up with Subaru part numbers so not sure which to get.

809218340 (original belt on car) = gates k050344 875mm
809218270 (what is suggested by SOA) = gates k050345 880mm

seems like a size difference that could be of issue. Any suggestions?
According to Rock Auto, you should check the 4th digit of the VIN. Their Gates catalog listing suggests the 344 is for digit "G" and 345 is for digit "B". I would go by this since I've never had a problem with a Gates belt not fitting.

Truthfully, both belts would probably work since there is only 1/2 cm of difference over the entire length of the belt. It would come down to which fits better with the belt tensioner. I'd still go with Gate's listings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BossMaverick-

I also saw the VIN digit in the catalog but unless my memory is failing all 2005 4th digit is "B" according to factory Service manual. Don't know what year is "G".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts