Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon, All-Weather
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men: I've been working for awhile on the rf lower ball joint. 00 outback wagon. Ended up in a situation similar to this photo from another post:

well, not sure where the photo went. Anyhew, what happened was, when the ball joint finally came out, the suspension coil spring kind of pushed the entire knuckle away from the car, which pulled the drive shaft out of the transmission. With a helper and lots of muscle, managed to get the pieces lined up enough to re-assemble. BUT the driveshaft isn't going in the whole way. While I was working with it I would rotate it slightly till it went in - it just ain't in the whole way. new ball joint is installed and nothing is loose, so I can't understand how/why the drive shaft isn't in the whole way. I tried running it little in gear while jacked up, to rotate the internals and see if something else would line up for that last part. no luck. didn't try very long though. What to do?

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
added pics

a photo of the assembled ball joint and the exposed drive shaft at tranny.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Grab the inner plunge joint housing (what you have pictured in green), pull it away from the transmission as best you can while at the same time rotating it.
You might get lucky and be able to correctly align the splines.
Its also possible the inner retaining ring may have gotten damaged, would be worth checking this.
Shown #4 here.
http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_23/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/illustration_2/

Or it could be bottomed out and stuck, in which case:
You needed to install in order:
CV shaft into the transmission fully
CV shaft into the knuckle
Assemble balljoint
Tighten axle nut last

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
you probably are going to have to remove the axle to get it back together, properly. maybe not but...

the splined shaft on the trans end of the axle is held in place by a circlip. circlip goes on the shaft and the shaft just snaps in. you will not damage anything if you pull it all the way out. but there is not enough room to remove the axle with the knuckle in place.

do a search on axle shaft replacement or removal, or install or similar.

tip: if you disconnect the sway bar end link (when the wheel is on the ground) it will be easier to work with the knuckle and the axle.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,779 Posts
Dito.

In the future, and for anyone else who attempts this kind of repair, any time you are working with disassembly of the spindle in any way, remove the axle nut and loose the axle from the hub before proceeding. This will allow the axle to slide out of the hub instead of what happened here. The other scenario would have caused one of the knuckle joints to separate. Removing one nut can save a lot of time and effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks for the responses! I'll head out to the garage for awhile see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts