Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Limited 270K & '03 LL Bean 90K
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens if your drive shaft is 180 degrees off after re-installing your rear differential? I just replaced my rear CV drive axles; which meant dropping the rear diff. Everything went fine, but now I have a vibration at low speed when I turn left or right. Not at a full turn, but anywhere in between strait and full. It never was there before this job.???

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
After market CV joints? Famous for causing these issues - usually not worth going cheap on the CV's and if the joint is clean always worth rebooting and keeping. Any reason you didn't just remove them via the standard approach? I don't recall dropping the diff as being the normal way to do this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Subaru axles all the way. I've been through the "cheap route" already. The only way to remove the rear axles is by dropping the differential otherwise there is no room to remove them. If you pulled the rear hub and bearing assembly I'm sure it would give you access, but is not how the Haines manual walks you through it. It was not a tuff job either way, but the car sat on jacks in the garage over a warming this week and the marks(paint) I put on the drive shaft and Rear diff. utterly disappeared with the moisture!

·
Registered
14 ob limited
329 Posts
Are you sure you didn't knock off any of the weights? The drive shaft is ballanced as an assembly not on the vehicle! Make sure every thing is matted up correctly and tight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is tight to spec, but I was unaware of the weights. I did not see any, or anything come off of the shaft itself. I am about to go out and rotate the shaft 180 degrees and remount it just to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,292 Posts
Are you sure you torqued the axle nut fully? If the axle nut is not torqued down all the way, it may be bearing noise your hearing.

Jack the rear wheels up, bracing the front and have it in park. Hold the coil spring with one hand and rotate the wheel with the other and feel for the vibration. Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to pivot the wheel. Vibration or pivoting is the bearing. If you have either, try torquing the axle nut again with the wheels on the ground and check it again. If it remains, new bearing.

Haynes is not always correct in disassembly/reassembly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved! The drive shaft was indeed 180Degrees off. Quick flip and she runs like new. The scary part is the sensation was much like your rack and pinion going to $h!t. Thanks for the info on the axle nut. That sort of tid-bit can come in handy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts