Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,797 Posts
That would be at the discretion of SOA.

What year and model? How much oil are we talking about? What type of oil is being used? Is the schedule being followed? What type of gas do you use? What are the daily driving conditions?

These are some questions that will be asked.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,835 Posts
Probably worse than a quart in 1200 miles assuming a properly 'broken in' vehicle with correct oil and not under 'severe duty'. (based on memory form other similar posts about oil usage)

In the early 90s, a guy I worked with had a claim on a new GM car denied. Evidently a quart in 900 miles was within 'acceptable limits'.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Most manufactures would say that anything under 1 quart per 1000 miles would not cause mechanical issue. Not that I actually agree with that, but if you're using 1 quart per 5000 miles, not likely to get help from Subaru. Or Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most manufactures would say that anything under 1 quart per 1000 miles would not cause mechanical issue. Not that I actually agree with that, but if you're using 1 quart per 5000 miles, not likely to get help from Subaru. Or Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc.
The car is a 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i with 22 k. The oil is mobil - non synth.
I am not sure of past usage as it was leased new in Mich. and I purchased it for my daughter in November of last year. As far as I can tell, there are no leaks and the exhaust pipe is not black and sooty. This Impreza uses more oil than my 98 Outback (225k) with an oil pump gasket leak.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,835 Posts
I've read that oil control rings can get gummed-up or something in such a fashion that use of solvent-like substances can be hlpful. I read of Marvel Mystery Oil, SeaFoam (in the crankcase) and similar treatments being used. I dunno, I would definitely proceed with care along those lines.

Maybe a comparison of the 4 spark plugs would show a cylinder that is 'different'? Maybe that's where the bad ring or valve seal is.

Also, change/clean the PCV valve/hose.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,797 Posts
Maybe a comparison of the 4 spark plugs would show a cylinder that is 'different'? Maybe that's where the bad ring or valve seal is.

Also, change/clean the PCV valve/hose.
+1

Unless you have maintenance records from the previous user, assume nothing was done on time or at all. Its just the way with lease vehicles.

If there are no apparent oil leaks, clean the valve, run an engine flush through it and change the oil/filter.

It will consume oil between oil changes. Its normal. But you can try the above and see if it diminishes some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts