Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I learned existed by watching the series, "Babylon 5" was the Australian aborigine concept/practice of walkabout. For those unfamiliar with that, a person walks around with no definite ultimate destination other than getting to know themselves in the process.

This Thursday, August 31st after work I am picking up my 2018 3.6R Outback Touring with all the stuff I ordered on it (and one thing that it came with as a bargain to get it faster than ordering it built completely from scratch) and this is just in time for the Labor Day weekend here in the US.

I'm getting the Dark Blue Pearl with:
  1. Thule crossbars
  2. the pair of nets in the cargo area
  3. the optional mirrors that light up as you get close, as well as auto-dim,
  4. all-weather floor mats (those may be replaced later)
  5. car seat back protector
  6. remote start
  7. wheel well covers
  8. mud flaps
The car has been (or will be) driven up from Corvallis to get it to Ballard, WA (in Seattle) so it'll have likely 240-250 miles already on it by the time I get it. My objective is to drive around the PNW with no clear destination, exploring the area (I moved here in 2005 from Indiana) as well as the car, and finishing off the break-in period.

And, most importantly, to figure out the name of my car.

Past cars and their names, from current to oldest:
  1. 2007 blue Legacy (Rocky Blue Boa: it rocks around the corners, but hugs them like a snake)
  2. 2001 grey Saturn SL2 (Earl Grey T: so sedate and prim/proper it reminded me of Captain Picard)
  3. 1993 aquamarine Saturn SC2 (Blue Banshee, 5-speed manual: you stomped on it, she screamed)
  4. 1977 white Chrysler Cordoba, with black Corinthian leather (Terre Haute Terror: bought it there, it had some issues)
  5. 1977 red Ford LTD 9 passenger Country Squire station wagon (going back to my roots!) named "Triskaidekamobile" because I bought it on a Friday the 13th)
I'm trying to figure out a name that includes the color as part of it. Because of its origins as to how I'm getting it, I've considered naming it NOT DB Cooper, because it's making a similar trip, but it seems bad to jinx it (if only in the minds of others that may suffer weird thoughts that cause them to do bad things).

I'm not looking for the typical names. I've also considered Dark Blue Beluga, since they're usually more white, but about the size of this car when large. I like my puns!

So, everyone: any idea as to where I should aimfully/aimlessly drive about for a break-in period over this weekend? Name suggestions?

Reactions: slagmi

·
Registered
18 Posts
No name or destination suggestions, but I thought I'd pipe in and say that I'm jealous. I'm also in Seattle and the 3.6r touring I ordered on July 7 is still weeks away...

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
Not all those who wander are lost

-J.R.R. Tolkien

We of course need a proper photo along with a memorable experience to seed the name brainstorming!

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not all those who wander are lost

-J.R.R. Tolkien

We of course need a proper photo along with a memorable experience to seed the name brainstorming!

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Thanks!

I'll have traded in Rocky Blue Boa after having him 9 years, 2 months, 1 week, 3 days and a number of hours, and around 96,000 miles (I'm not the first owner).

Going from Rocky and how simple the user interface is on him to this new car will require a lot of quality time with all the manuals, likely PDF being the most sensible. To match the modern nature of this new baby, I've decided to do a videorecord of my acceptance inspection, and I'm also intending on buying a USB thumb drive to store all maintenance records on in digital form, instead of the 9 years of paperwork I'd stuffed in the glove compartment. Of course, there may be some paperwork (like tire purchases) I need to keep actual paper paperwork for, for such things as road hazard warranty (replace all if one is killed: I actually had to use that when WA-520 construction resulted in major tire/rim problems).

I'm thinking I may visit Paradise: why not be in paradise in a new car, right? :wink2:

I'm also curious if there are any rougher things to drive in, as I'd like to play with the better AWD in this newer car: there are reasons I purposely got both types of cargo nets, including not having things fly around :laugh:

Oh, an important point: part of the reason to do an inspection video is to have proof that at one point, it was clean and undinged, since it seems that's an unnatural state for a Subaru >:)

I've observed that Rocky loves to have dirt stick to it, spit off from the front tires, at the top of the front seat windows and the roof, sort of like a Pig Pen ala "Peanuts" so I'm guessing that's the nature of Subaru's paint mixture.

If you don't get your Subaru dirty, you've wasted a lot of time and money, right?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
490 Posts
I enjoy taking road trips with no apparent destination in mind. As for names, I have always named my cars with female names. The name usually comes to me based on the cars personality. My current OB is named "Fiona" Previously I had a Wrangler JKU Jeep named "Jessica" and a VW Jetta named "Elsa"....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
When we lived in Oregon, we enjoyed doing a loop in the State. We started by going east from Portland, through Mt Hood on 26 to Madras, then down to Bend. Then continued south into Crater Lake and then cut over to Ashland. Then we went up a little to Grants Pass and cut west to Cresent City. From there we followed the coast up to Coos Bay and then Astoria where we finally cut east back to Portland. Really enjoyed it as there was a variety of beautiful areas and things to do. It was also a good mix of remote and civilization for us where we did not have to overly plan.

Enjoy the new Outback! Our first one comes at the end of October so looking forward to finding a mini driveabout as well!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my new as-yet-unnamed baby Thursday night, after normal closing hours.

In another dozen hours perhaps, I'll begin driveabout.

I put a number of miles on I-405 and I-5 around Lake Washington, and a name that's a contender is: DB High Roller.

However, it's still fluid :grin2:

A coworker was trying to sell me the name "Devil in a Dark Blue Dress" but I'm thinking he's trying to skirt the issue of me being the one paying for it :laugh:

Finally sat down and tweaked configurable settings on the car, from pascals to PSI, and found all tires were at 40 PSI. Well, that'll be good for mileage, sure, it, that's not handling the way it's designed: I wonder if going down to doorframe placard pressures will make it handle corners better or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts