Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT (Autumn Green)
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit confused about their relationship or the lack thereof. I created driver’s profile by using the add profile button and the paired Bluetooth. Then I registered driver using Driver Monitoring system. However, I could not find any way to link the driver’s profile and the registered driver. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,995 Posts
I am a bit confused about their relationship or the lack thereof. I created driver’s profile by using the add profile button and the paired Bluetooth. Then I registered driver using Driver Monitoring system. However, I could not find any way to link the driver’s profile and the registered driver. Am I missing something?
I think they are different and can not be linked because you can get driver profiles but not monitoring as an option.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
905 Posts
I think the main "issue" that results from the Drive Profile being phone-related, and the Registered Driver being Driver Monitoring System-related, is when another driver's phone is present in the car. For example, I am driving, and am recognized by the DMS, but my wife is a passenger, and for some reason her phone is recognized before mine. (Maybe she got in the car first, in the passenger seat.)

Every once in a while I have seen a cryptic message on the main center display, asking me if I wanted to accept or use the detected driver profile. I'm never sure what this message means, since it doesn't identify which driver profile it is talking about. (For clarity, both mine and my wife's phones are linked to our own driver profiles, and both of us are also registered drivers for the DMS.) Now I am thinking that the question about accepting the driver profile is because I have been recognized by the DMS as the driver, but it is my wife's phone that was detected first.... It would be clearer if the message identified which driver profile it thought it should use, so you could tell if you wanted to switch it.....

That said, I haven't experienced any real conflict issues - since seat and mirror positions are linked to the DMS detection of registered driver, I suppose the main area of potential conflict would be in some other driver-profile-based preferences.....

On my wife's Honda, which I also drive sometimes (with her as the passenger), we have run into a few weird little conflicts. In that car, each driver has their own dedicated key fob. It is recognition of the key fob that tells the car who is driving, and whose user-preferences to use. One time I was driving, but my wife had gotten into the car first. And so the car THOUGHT she was driving. Once the car came to this conclusion, I couldn't figure out how to convince it otherwise! I thought to myself, maybe we can put her purse, with key, into the trunk. But the car wouldn't allow the trunk lid to be closed.... For a while, I was being totally out-smarted by the car.

It turns out the answer is/was simple. If I used my key fob to unlock the car, then the car changes over to that key fob (and driver) to be the real driver.... The problem was that we keep the car unlocked in the garage, so I had never had to unlock it....

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,887 Posts
Yea. I want to know which one to blame! I finally got my Outback to reliably save my user audio settings and then just this AM, it forgot my profile names. When I went in to check, I had been demoted from Handsome and Dave to Driver A and Driver B. Of course, I need to delete the profiles now to rename them. I'm near certain the audio setting issue will return :cry:

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
83 Posts
This whole thing is a mess. So these two systems are totally disconnected. How about the driver seat settings on the door? Is that linked to either?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT (Autumn Green)
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This whole thing is a mess. So these two systems are totally disconnected. How about the driver seat settings on the door? Is that linked to either?
As far as I can tell ( though not tried yet), they are disconnected too. Also, don’t forget the key-fob based setting.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
227 Posts
While on this topic, Driver Recognition, was a pain yesterday. I was dressed differently (had a bandana on my neck) so the recognition program did not recognize me. I figured "OK no Big deal" However every time I put the car in Park, then back in Drive, it gave me the "Driver not Recognized, do you want to register" Or something like that. What a pain in the [email protected]@. It would eventually time out each time.

Other than not putting it in Park then Drive (or some other motivating selection, or defining another driver) how can I tell it to STOP asking me about registering another driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts