Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my car in to Subaru service for a battery replacement. When I got home, I discovered that the seat had a split a little less than 2". Upon talking to the service manager, I was told that it is common for these seats to do that through use and that their technician was not responsible. I weigh less than 100 lbs and can't imagine I caused this to happen! Years ago we had a Volvo that developed creases in the leather due to my 200 lb husband but I am the only driver and certainly not rambunctious when getting in the car! The service manager said he was going to contact Subaru but they are not responsible for the damage. All I know is that it was perfectly fine when I took it in and damaged when I brought it home. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions on dealing with Subaru? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Yep. It’s come up several times before.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately the service quality has gone down. Went in for my last oil change left with no oil. Tech forgot to add it back. Should have sued honestly

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
647 Posts
Only the center, perforated section, is leather. The sides are vinyl. Many people have had issues. On my latest round of seat repair for squeak, we replaced the lower cushion cover that had torn near the seam. 2018, 3 years in service.

I don't expect it will make the long haul.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,027 Posts
I have a split too. Just developed in the last 60 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE....The dealership is going to replace the seat cover and asked if I would be ok with a co-pay of $25. It has to be repaired so I am satisfied with that and glad they stood behind it since my Outback is almost 5 years old with 63000 miles. I assume the material is defective since there have been so many people who have had this problem. I just hope it holds up longer than the original!

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
647 Posts
UPDATE....The dealership is going to replace the seat cover and asked if I would be ok with a co-pay of $25. It has to be repaired so I am satisfied with that and glad they stood behind it since my Outback is almost 5 years old with 63000 miles. I assume the material is defective since there have been so many people who have had this problem. I just hope it holds up longer than the original!

Thanks for your comments.
I present for consideration..

When mine was replaced during the last service, the service manager and I discussed the "replacement part". He could not find an indication that part number has changed. We suspect without a part number change, the part itself has not been improved. If it's the same part, material, construction, it has a high likelihood of failing prematurely.

Similar service story, we had a 2009 Honda pilot that utilized fluid filled suspension boots to aid in the control of front end vibrations. We had to replace them three times due to leaks. On the last two visits, the part numbers had changed twice. The last repair held up without failure suggesting Honda had made design changes.

Optimistic: There was a bad lot of seat/covers during certain time ranges of construction. Subaru changed the material or construction and doesn't change part numbers.

For squeaky seat, it appears no changes to material or construction and that is why I am on the third seat frame including frame installed in original manufacturing.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
159 Posts
Careful that your clothes or pockets don't have anything sharp that can tear the material. Of course if your seat wasn't ripped when you dropped the car off, they ripped it and need to replace the seat cover. $25 is not bad for a new seat cover.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
755 Posts
Where my belt loops meet the seat back. A 3/8ths" by 3" section of the pleather came off. The dealer said the extended warranty doesn't cover the seat back cover and it would cost 5-6 hundred $$$ to replace the seat back cover. Or I could try his guy that comes in every so often and does vinyl repairs to the seats for about 1/3rd the price. I think I'll do the latter down the road. Or try that as seen on TV vinyl repair kit.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
324 Posts
The splitting and cracking with the leather trim areas is due to bonded leather being used. Bonded leather is the cheapest "leather". It is made with scraps of leather from other uses like belts. It is mixed with plastic to make Bonded leather. Many manufactures are using bonded for the trim areas as it is real cheap. Real hide leather is used on the seating surfaces. Leather interiors are not worth the extra money. If a person is leasing or trading in every three or four years, durability is not a concern with the auto maker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The splitting and cracking with the leather trim areas is due to bonded leather being used. Bonded leather is the cheapest "leather". It is made with scraps of leather from other uses like belts. It is mixed with plastic to make Bonded leather. Many manufactures are using bonded for the trim areas as it is real cheap. Real hide leather is used on the seating surfaces. Leather interiors are not worth the extra money. If a person is leasing or trading in every three or four years, durability is not a concern with the auto maker.
On our 2018 Limited, the sides of the seat bottom appear to be vinyl. Only the center strip is leather.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Where my belt loops meet the seat back. A 3/8ths" by 3" section of the pleather came off. The dealer said the extended warranty doesn't cover the seat back cover and it would cost 5-6 hundred $$$ to replace the seat back cover. Or I could try his guy that comes in every so often and does vinyl repairs to the seats for about 1/3rd the price. I think I'll do the latter down the road. Or try that as seen on TV vinyl repair kit.
I believe the Gold Extended does cover the seat repair. Mine was replaced with extended warranty.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
The subaru added security does not cover upholstery... you got lucky and had the repair covered anyway. Some people get lucky like that from what I've read in other threads.

Font Screenshot Document Publication Number

1 - 13 of 13 Posts