Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Subaru, a 1996 Outback w/ 5 speed manual transmission and learned a lot from this site prior to making the purchase.

I was going over the car today and saw that the driver seat had this harness and I have been searching to find out what it is for.

Found this picture showing the harness coming out from the floor

It is a longshot for me to think it is for heated seats since it only has 2 wires going into it instead of 4 that i expected.

I did take the cover off where the switches are and found these two plugs.

Does that mean the car is wired for heated seats and I just have to find the switches and heating elements or seats?

And I need to look for seats with the harness with the blue end? (red arrow)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,577 Posts
possible subwoofer connector.

but i dunno really.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Follow the color coding on those 2 wires and see, if any of those plugs on the bottom of the seat have the same color coding continuing to the seat... then you will know, what they are....could also be that pesky seat belt "chime" that so many of us have disconnected although not by unplugging the wires...

·
Registered
18,065 Posts
Going from the wiring diagram (which is not always accurate), the harness connectors going to the left and right seat heaters should be square, 4 terminal (4 connections), and possibly blue. There would be only three wires going into the connectors (as that is all that is used for the two heat settings). Possible wire colors are black, red, and red with white stripe on one connector, and black, light green, and red with blue stripe at the other.

Usually, where there are several connectors in one location, they are either different styles (square, rectangular etc), have different numbers of connections, or different colors, all so that they can't be mixed up. If a seat has connectors hanging down, look for the identical (but reverse gender) connector coming up from the floor and vice-versa.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the 2 wire connector in the first pic is for the seat belt.

the 1 blue and 1 white connectors under the center console are in fact for the heated seat switches. if you feel around under the carpet where the other wire comes out you will find the connectors for the seats. yes they are there, you just have to find them.

plug in the switches and connect the seats and you SHOULD have heated seats. if not you may need to put in a fuse. worst case you will need to run a new hot feed from the cigarette lighter.

depending on the year the seat belt ''receivers'' may be different. they made a change around 97. so don't throw away your old seats until you are sure the seat belts work. they are easy to swap if needed, one bolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I thought it may be the seatbelt chime, but if I do not latch it in and turn the car on the chime dings but stops after 3 dings.

For clarification the last two pictures in the OP I borrowed from another thread to show the plug connectors. I do not think my seats are heated as I do not see a blue connector on the driver side and the passenger seat has no wiring at all.

Only good news is I did find out my car has the factory keyless entry so I hope the remotes I bought off eBay can be coded to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts